Should I report this under RIDDOR?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Nessy
Student
Student

Should I report this under RIDDOR?

Post by Nessy »

Driver backing Bobcat off trailer, lifts front bucket too high and Bobcat rolls over backwards down the trailer ramp. Not very steep. No one was injured.

I've read the HSE list of dangerous occurences and it doesn't mention these sort of incidents.

I know that we will carry out an internal assessment of how this happened and put measures in place to reduce the risk of it happening again, but is it reportable under RIDDOR?

TIA

Nessy :?:
Everything matters but nothing terribly... except when it involves Health & Safety!
Gladiator
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius
My Name is Maximus Decimus Meridius

Post by Gladiator »

Nessy

If you take the 'collapse. overturning or failure of load bearing parts of lifts and or lifting equipment' as a guide; whilst loose, it does fall under lifting equipment. Clearly the bobcat is capable of lifting and it overturned I would report the 'DO' and continue with my own internal investigation. This 'DO' did have the potential to kill or maim; although I am using my imagination here from your description. If you want to talk to me, PM a number.

Link here: https://www.hse.gov.uk/forms/incident/f2508.pdf

G
Nessy
Student
Student

Post by Nessy »

Thanks Glad

I thought this would be the case.

I'm gonna drive out to the depot and talk to those involved and then maybe ring in a RIDDOR followed up with the paperwork.

This happened yesterday, so I'll have to get moving

If I need further advice I will PM you.

Cheers

Nessy
Everything matters but nothing terribly... except when it involves Health & Safety!
Ashanti
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by Ashanti »

No need to ring RIDDOR unless you really want to, complete the form online and let them get back to you if they want to.
otto
Grumpy Old Git
Grumpy Old Git
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by otto »

Overturning plant is not a RIDDOR - It tends to happen to a fair degree on sites and I queried this myself. The lifting equipment refers to cranes etc when used for lifting rather than driving really.

From The schedule:
Lifting machinery, etc
1 The collapse of the overturning of, or the failure of any load-bearing part of any -

(a) lift or hoist;
(b) crane or derrick;
(c) mobile powered access platform;
(d) access cradle or window-cleaning cradle;
(e) excavator;
(f) pile-driving frame or rig having an overall height, when operating, of more than 7 metres; or
(g) fork lift truck.

The giuidance is as follows

Lifting machinery (paragraph 1)
105 The definition covers the collapse of any of the machinery or equipment listed, the overturning of any such machinery or equipment or the failure of any load bearing part of it, whether used for lifting goods, materials or people.
It does not cover the failure of ancillary equipment such as electric operating buttons or radius indicators.

106 The phrase ‘mobile powered access platform’ means any platform where the movement of the platform itself is powered, and not necessarily the movement of its supporting vehicle. Power elevated platforms mounted on manually moved vehicles are included. Fixed or mobile tower scaffolds are not included.

107 Incidents involving cranes must be reported irrespective of the nature of the work being done, and reports must not be restricted to those involving lifting and lowering. For example, a collapse or overturning when a machine is being used for drop balling must be included.

108 A ‘pile-driving frame or rig’ includes a bored piling rig or a percussion piling rig comprising substantially a crane with a jib, normally mounted on crawler tracks, which has been adapted by the addition of pile-driving parts.

The implication is (red highlights is that it is specific lifting equipment) an excavator for example would have check valves and an SWL indicator if it was used as lifting equipment. Your skid steer almost certainly (although I stand to be corrected) does not.

Hope this helps
Otto 8)
Purge the unsafe !!!

Lord of the garden shed and master of the gravelly patch....
Nessy
Student
Student

Post by Nessy »

Conflicting messages. :!:

Otto, are you saying that because the bobcat was being driven off a trailer i.e. not carrying a load, when the incident happened that I do not need to report it?

I'm confused :?
Coldrop
Major Injury
Major Injury
Industry Sector: Construction,RC Frame,Civils & Utilities

Post by Coldrop »

We had a mini skip loader overturn on a site, we reported it, no one was injured and apart from the flashing light on top, nothing else was damaged/broken
Intellectuals solve problems but Geniuses prevent them!
otto
Grumpy Old Git
Grumpy Old Git
Industry Sector: Construction

Post by otto »

Sorry Nessy, what I'm saying is two things, first, that the bobcat isn't specifically designed for lifting i.e. it doesn't have safe working load indicators and check valves (not always an acid test, but fairly close) you don't need to report it.
Secondly, you are correct in the assumption that as it wasn't actually lifting anything at the time you don't have to report it.
This section of RIDDOR is aimed at cranes and excavators that are used as lifting equipment, also goods hoists etc.
The problem with construction plant, especially the smaller stuff like ride on rollers and forward tipping dumpers is that they overturn all the bloomin' time on site, (hence ROPS) and RIDDOR would be swamped by the calls.
They are however very keen to speak to you should you overturn a mobile or crawler crane for instance, or a large forklift, as these are only generally used for lifting, - an excavator excavates - lifting is a secondary function and only should be performed by those adapted or designed with the devices mentioned above.
If you give them a ring in Caerphilly they will confirm this - although they also may take a report too. It certainly won't hurt to call them.
Otto 8)
Purge the unsafe !!!

Lord of the garden shed and master of the gravelly patch....
Nessy
Student
Student

Post by Nessy »

Cheers Otto :)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy