LED lighting and migraines

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

AndrewF

LED lighting and migraines

Post by AndrewF »

Hi, looking for help please.

We have moved over to LED lighting in our offices as part of our energy efficiency and help us to get to net zero. Since having these installed we have a few staff in some of our buildings that are experiencing migraines more often than they did before the lighting was changed. They are also complaining that the lights are too bright. I have looked into this and found that LED lights can flicker at a high rate that is not perceivable and this can cause migraines for those susceptible to migraines.

The lights are 4000K which is slap bang in the middle of the advised range. I have also asked what lumens it has been designed to deliver at desk level to see if there is anything obvious there.

Has anyone else come across this and if so have you found a remedy other than giving those affected spectacles with filtered lenses?

Thanks
Andrew
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: LED lighting and migraines

Post by Alexis »

AndrewF wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:42 pm Hi, looking for help please.

We have moved over to LED lighting in our offices as part of our energy efficiency and help us to get to net zero. Since having these installed we have a few staff in some of our buildings that are experiencing migraines more often than they did before the lighting was changed. They are also complaining that the lights are too bright. I have looked into this and found that LED lights can flicker at a high rate that is not perceivable and this can cause migraines for those susceptible to migraines.

The lights are 4000K which is slap bang in the middle of the advised range. I have also asked what lumens it has been designed to deliver at desk level to see if there is anything obvious there.

Has anyone else come across this and if so have you found a remedy other than giving those affected spectacles with filtered lenses?

Thanks
Andrew
Just a warm welcome to our forums Andrew with a question that I, being someone who suffers from migraines and LED lighting scenario's, am very interested in the responses from our excellent HSfB members' experiences.

Good to have you aboard. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Hi AndrewF

Welcome to the forums :wave:

Whilst I have no direct remedy for you, the advised Lux levels for offices are as follows:

General office: 500 Lux.
Filing/copying/printing: 300 Lux.
Technical drawing area: 750 Lux.
Conference room: 500 Lux.
Design office: 1000 Lux.
Archives: 200 Lux.
CAD workstation: 500 Lux.
Reception desk: 300 Lux.

There is a fair bit of science between Lux & Lumens but basically lux is the intensity of the light whilst lumens measure the light regardless of how far away it is from source (I think that's right anyway) :lol:

Hopefully some more knowledgeable members will be able to assist in your query ./thumbsup..

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

We had lots of complaints- some with a medical bias- about the brightness of our office lighting when it was changed to LED about 7 years ago.

The lighting designer had warned the estate team this might happen as the LED light is a different something (frequency, warmth or colour - I can't recall).

He was right as there were a fair number of complaints from the 4000 staff. Some were valid as there were some glare issues from glazing, but in time people got used to the new lighting arrangements
grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

It is possible to get diffusers/filters which might help? See link for example (this is the first one google came up for me):

https://www.makegreatlight.com/products ... s%20covers.

Might be an option for you but absolutely no idea how effective they are.
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes
AndrewF

Post by AndrewF »

Thank you for the welcome

Some interesting comments to look into, thanks for these.

I will keep digging for the migraine issue to see if it's real or some sort of coincidence perhaps caused by stress from brighter lighting. I will repost if I find anything useful. We might even find an expert pop up here with the answer. :D

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy