Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Prescription safety glasses

Post by TWDB »

Hi Guys what are your company's policy on these.

We (my old company) have historically paid a fixed amount towards safety glasses say £100, for a bog standard but more than suitable and complaint prescription safety glasses.

At my current company a staff member has purchased varifocal and photochromatic lenses, without approval. and is now claiming £390 back - cue difficult discussion.

They did not get approval for these as per our very loose policy - which is poor but does say needs approval and agreement.

It prompted us to relook at a voucher scheme - does anyone have experience with these schemes or a clear policy - ie for c construction type company

thanks
T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Prescription safety glasses

Post by WillPool »

Previously used Spec Savers (other opticians are available :D ) when in UK.

Was easy to setup and use. Basically vouchers get free eye test and up to £xx for glasses (whatever your company agree) then if it is beyond the £XX then the individual pays the difference.

Once you have a contract with Spec Savers or an alternative, it makes it easier to write a policy/procedure ../.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Brett Day SP
Industry Sector: Construction / Safety Training
Occupation: Senior HSW Advisor with some safety training on the side.

Post by Brett Day SP »

I've used Bolle in the past and my current employer uses them, they have set up an account so the line manager can approve what is wanted - photochromic, varifocal, price range on the frames etc, with or without an eye test. We issue out to the employee, they pick an optician from the list on the Bolle website (most of them on the list are Boots, but there are a few others).

They go off, get eye test, or not (but will need their current - within 3 months prescription), chose the frames from the selection allowed and then three weeks later, they get a call to collect.

iirc a colleague has had photochromic with varifocals in a mid range frame, which actually isn't a bad frame for about £280 all plus his eye test cost.
Chaos, panic and disorder, my work here is done !

Power corrupts, absolute power is actually pretty neat.
Maltman Dan

Post by Maltman Dan »

We use these from Arco, haven’t had an issue yet

https://www.arco.co.uk/Web-Taxonomy/Per ... AC8C33CD13

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy