Tablet v Computer

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Doctorfrank

Tablet v Computer

Post by Doctorfrank »

Advice ……..

I work in food production , engineering dept , my boss wants us to do all our desk based IT work on a tablet now whilst on the move, emails,work orders,spares allocation , planned maintenance etc etc
Can he do this and what regulations are there around risk assessing this ?
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Tablet v Computer

Post by WillPool »

Hi

Risk assessments are covered under MHSWR 99: https://www.hse.gov.uk/simple-health-sa ... ge-popular

For computer users etc, DSE Regulations: https://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/

Hope this helps

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Tablet v Computer

Post by stephen1974 »

I think you will find it highly impracticle to do this. Tablets have their uses for sure, but e-mails, reports, switching between applications etc is not easy, not easy at all.

If you are looking at health and safety reasons why this is bad you can try DSE but DSE came out before mobile phones and tablets which may fall foul od be excluded by virtue of a small screen. The key issue will be how much time you spend on the device in one go. How long does it take you to do all tyour e-mails, ordering and planning? can you do it whilst walking around or will you have to stop somwhere to do it? Looking at small creens will be bad for your eyes and certainly either standing or sitting, looking at them will be bad for your neck and back.

Look at Appendix 3 in the guidance book. Starts on page 50. Designed for laptops and noteboks (again, written before tablets were a thing) it talks about the difficulties with mobile devices and the need to risk assess. Here is one area to think about, if you have to walk around a dangerous area with your face in a tablet reading emails and doing orders, are you paying attention to your surroundings enough to be safe? or are you about to get hit by a fork lift truck?

I use tablets to audit sites every day. - I use it to take photos of everything, I then go sit down to complete the report because there are way to many hazards around for me to be playing tickbox timmy and if I had to stop every time I needed to negotiate a hazard, sod all would get done.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy