Elide fire extinguishing ball - thoughts?

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Elide fire extinguishing ball - thoughts?

Post by witsd »

Hey folks. Has anyone used or considered using these devices?

https://www.elidefire.com/

We are considering their use specifically in unmanned electrical plant rooms and similar locations. They seem relatively cheap and better than nothing, given that we can't install sprinklers in these areas, but there's a lot of bluster on their website and I'm honestly not sure how effective they are confirmed as being.

I have a suspicion that once used in an open space (i.e. not a cupboard or enclosed cabinet as many of the demonstrations appear to be) they would fail to completely extinguish many fires.

To be clear, I have absolutely no interest in having them used manually, it would only be as a passive, heat-operated device.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Elide fire extinguishing ball - thoughts?

Post by Messy »

I have no knowledge of this product whatsoever but I have seen similar claims of BSI 'certification' for another innovative (fire extinguisher)product, only to dig deeper and find the BS involved related to the manufacture of the cylinder rather than as a complete extinguisher

I am not saying that's the case here but the lack of detail feeds my scepticism

I have tried to use innovative kit before BSI standards have been written (a hypoxic fire prevention system and video smoke detection) and both caused a few issues - especially the VSD

But I did trial P50 extinguishers rather than buy several hundred at the outset, and maybe this is the way to go here? Buy one and have a good look at it first
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Messy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:56 pmI have no knowledge of this product whatsoever but I have seen similar claims of BSI 'certification' for another innovative (fire extinguisher)product, only to dig deeper and find the BS involved related to the manufacture of the cylinder rather than as a complete extinguisher
Yes, I've seen similar, hence the scepticism, though usually there are plenty of people calling out the products that have done this, and I'm not seeing any of that yet. Guess I'll have to get digging myself!
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Have only seen them advertised, was thinking of trialing a few on remote sites in Saudi Arabia, but the Client only wants old-fashioned fire extinguishers.

Whatever happened to innovation :D

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

WillPool wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:17 am
Whatever happened to innovation :D
As I said above, I used innovative video smoke detection on a very difficult building. It had multiple inner rooms that couldn't be fitted with vision panels and the access room was potentially quite smokey

VSD seemed to be the answer. There was no British Standard but I thought we'd give it a punt. It was worse than useless and gave so many false activations that the alarm engineers couldn't cope with

VSD uses standard cctv to view an area. Algorithms are taught what is normal and what isn't so raise the alarm if smoke is 'seen'. Its supposed to be adjustable and smart - 🤔

Sudden flashes of light - from brake lights to doors opening into sunny rooms - were totally beyond this useless system. I didnt know, but there's a momentary flash of light when the sun sets. Not enough for you or me to see, but the VSD saw it 😳

We disconnected it from the alarm system and ran it manually- enough to inform security to check it while alarm engineers tried to fix it

In the end we scrapped it and shared the cost with the manufacturers due to contractual reasons. It cost us a lot of cash. Fortunately I had written the risk of it being innovative so possibly not working into the business case that my employer accepted, so I was sort of in the clear

But it did damage my reputation and had left me very sceptical about trying new technologies without a standard to rely on

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy