Office Building Fire Door Seals

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

WICN1981

Office Building Fire Door Seals

Post by WICN1981 »

Morning all!

Im looking for advice on fire door seals.

The company I work for have floors in an office building occupied by many other businesses. On our floors ive noticed that almost all of the fire door seals are frayed in part or completely. Add to this a few doors are always wedged open with floor door wedges.

To me this poses a risk, but legally does it pose a fire risk or not? Im not a fire officer btw but someone that has an interest in general H&S mainly because nobody else in the office actually seems to be.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Office Building Fire Door Seals

Post by witsd »

Lets roll out the old answer:

"It depends upon the findings of the fire risk assessment."

The law says 'get a competent person to complete an FRA, and that will tell you what you have to do'. Until that point, unless the FRS turn up and issue an enforcement notice, you haven't broken any laws.

Having said that, if it could be shown that the company had been made aware of the issue (say, a member of staff such as yourself saw the fault and had previously had training that stated they should inform management of any H&S issues) and then there was a fire that caused serious damage / loss of life, I'm sure there would be consequences.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Oh, and as for the FRA, it's perfectly possible that fire doors are not actually required by guidance. It would depend on square footage, use of the areas, protected means of escape, staff numbers, staff activities....

No sleeping occupants often means that a few door closers would be adequate to reduce the risk to life to a negligible level.

In domestic buildings an FRA should be considerably more demanding.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
WICN1981

Post by WICN1981 »

Thanks ever so much for your response, will take it onboard when discussing with my manager.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy