Home workers (home contract) - does a company need to supply a First aid kit?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Home workers (home contract) - does a company need to supply a First aid kit?

Post by TWDB »

Hi all,

a random one -ish
does a company need to supply a contracted homeworker (office work) with a fist aid kit?

i say no - but can recommend that its good to have one, no requirement to do so. unless tasks being undertaken and RA recommends

thoughts

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: Home workers (home contract) - does a company need to supply a First aid kit?

Post by Blackstone »

I would agree with your comment:
i say no - but can recommend that its good to have one, no requirement to do so. unless tasks being undertaken and RA recommends
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Re: Home workers (home contract) - does a company need to supply a First aid kit?

Post by wendolene26 »

I'm with Blackstone and agree with your comment he mentioned in his reply to your original post.
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Absolutely no.

It's a nice idea, but would then need to think about replacing items as their sterility dates pass.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Chief White Halfoat
Student
Student

Post by Chief White Halfoat »

Nope
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

As longs as they remember to ask themselves if they are allergic to plasters first...
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Whilst I am sure the advice and recommendations here are sound legally and in line with appropriate guidance etc, I can't help thinking that as you can buy a domestic first aid kit for around £10 - and to keep it in date, perhaps it needs to replacing it every 4 years or so - for the cost of £2.50 a year (21p a month) , why not just supply one???
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Messy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:42 pm Whilst I am sure the advice and recommendations here are sound legally and in line with appropriate guidance etc, I can't help thinking that as you can buy a domestic first aid kit for around £10 - and to keep it in date, perhaps it needs to replacing it every 4 years or so - for the cost of £2.50 a year (21p a month) , why not just supply one???
I'm yet to see a business that can remember to change over their eyewash bottles when they are located in the same office the staff sit in. I would put money on the homeworker first aid kits being well and truly forgotten after four years, especially as by that time you'll have had staff leave, new staff join and the 'kit renewal' dates will be all over the place.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Chief White Halfoat
Student
Student

Post by Chief White Halfoat »

witsd wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:30 pm
Messy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:42 pm Whilst I am sure the advice and recommendations here are sound legally and in line with appropriate guidance etc, I can't help thinking that as you can buy a domestic first aid kit for around £10 - and to keep it in date, perhaps it needs to replacing it every 4 years or so - for the cost of £2.50 a year (21p a month) , why not just supply one???
I'm yet to see a business that can remember to change over their eyewash bottles when they are located in the same office the staff sit in. I would put money on the homeworker first aid kits being well and truly forgotten after four years, especially as by that time you'll have had staff leave, new staff join and the 'kit renewal' dates will be all over the place.
Just reminded me, my eye wash is out of date....
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Always is!

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy