A Failed Prosecution

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

A Failed Prosecution

Post by Messy »

LC1.png
LC2.png

A blast from the past. I have been shredding photos and came across this from about 15 years ago when I was a Fire Brigade Fire Safety Officer. I inspected this absolutely filthy Hotel (where even disgusted bed bugs were leaving when I arrived). This is a posh part of town with many fine hotels nearby

The first photo was from inside the basement of this B&B hotel. It shows the final exit door to a light well, from which escape is possible up a metal staircase. The junk visible through the glazing indicated there might be a problem

The second photo shows the light well and the final exit door completely obstructed by builders materials (for another site elsewhere!!)

I called a photographer and paged my boss to prosecute this place, as the rest of the hotel was even worse. But my boss was bone idle and nothing came of it which annoyed me greatly after all he work I put in preparing the case.

Sadly I have just checked Google and its still in business (£100 per night which is very cheap) and is achieving dreadful reviews on Tripadvisor

Excellent .....2
Very Good....7
Average......10
Poor.......... 11
Terrible...... 90

I am saddened that this hell hole is still in business and may well contact the fire service again as the traveller photos look even worse than I remember it
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: A Failed Prosecution

Post by Alexis »

I am shocked to hear this place is still running as a business!

I do wonder though, how do people manage to have such places scrutinised and owners taken to court?

Apart from reporting to the Fire Service, whom I am sure would collate a robust report, who's desk would that report land on and ultimately, who would actually action their findings?

A number of years ago, upon attending the H&S EXPO in Birmingham, Jack and I booked rooms (last minute) in a sort of B&B/Hotel/Guest house (??) which should never have been allowed to open their doors to guests!

As an example - There was 1 radiator set through a roughly cut-out slit in a dividing wall between the bedroom and so-called bathroom. Half was to heat the bathroom and the other half to heat the bedroom. Filthy filthy everything!

We couldn't find anywhere else to stay. We would have been better sleeping in a doorway outside!

Jack took lots of photo's and I did complain to the Council, but nothing was even acknowledged. I'll bet that place is still up and running too!
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy