Total career switch

Introduce yourself in here if you like :wave:

Moderator: Moderators

AllFun&Games

Total career switch

Post by AllFun&Games »

Hi all :wave: Thank you for having me here. After spending the better half of a decade working in journalism abroad, I realised I was never going to be content with reporting on the horrors of the world, so after spending much time doing online research and a little introspection, I decided to take the first steps into a career of reporting on the horrors of occupational hazards instead .cheers Joke aside, I look forward to speaking with you in this forum.

I'm planning to sign up for the NEBOSH NGC here in the UK as a starting point. I've read a lot about people adding an HSE qualification to complement their existing job in another industry, but not so much about using it to start a new career. I'm not sure what the following step looks like or what doors would open for me in my HSE journey without already working in another sector... The only potentially relevant experience I have is training in HACCP food safety management from my degree in hospitality management, but I graduated back in 2012 and haven't worked in the F&B sector since.

Can anyone share any relevant experience from transitioning into a career in HSE? What might the next step look like? Am I likely to be able to find an HSE job using just the NEBOSH NGC or does anyone know of any good apprenticeship routes to follow? I'm not interested in working in construction, so I'd be hoping to go down a career path in food safety, fire safety, environmental management or management of a site like a hotel, office building or campus. Any help, advice or info would be very appreciated!
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Total career switch

Post by Alexis »

Good Morning and a very warm welcome to HSfB. :wave:

Lovely introduction Allfun etc. :lol: ./thumbsup..

Really interesting background and definitely the perfect candidate to join our site as you journey on your new career path within health and safety. .salut

Many of our members have asked those very same questions as yourself AF&G (hope that's not a sweary word :lol: ) with varying results in how they transitioned into the World of workplace safety. All of them though, had the same goal as yourself.... to make that all important difference within the safety industry!

I could write a book (not as worthy as you could of course ;) ) in reply to each of your questions, but instead and for the time being, a few past links (below) from similar queries within our forums may offer some assistance. *I shall also place another post copying your original content in our General Section area to gain more views.

This link from our main site pages will show you how our site owner started his new career path "HSfB in the beginning"- Accidents don't need to happen. https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/About-us

Some past posts on the subject using our "Search" function at the top right hand corner. search.php?keywords=how+to+start+a+hse+career

*This final link will take you to the new post I mention above.
viewtopic.php?t=52578
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
AllFun&Games

Post by AllFun&Games »

I'd read that book if you wrote it, Alexis :lol:

Thank you for your reply and assistance! It's encouraging to know that I'm not completely out of my depth in pursuing this career change. I'll have a look through the links and keep an eye on the post you made for me.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I would also buy a copy of Alexis book (if subject to a reasonable discount of course) even though I am in the process of doing the route in the opposite direction.

After 46 years in the fire safety field, I am retraining for a zero hours job away from fire safety and H&S

One thing I would say is there is plenty of fire safety work out there. The devastating tragedy at Greenfell has (too) slowly led to significant changes in how fire safety is managed across residential accommodation and opened up many opportunities

Its expensive to get the correct training (others will be better places to advise you on that) and PL & PI insurances can be horrendous- but it's a good path to tread IMHO

Good luck in your new career 👍
AllFun&Games

Post by AllFun&Games »

Messy wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:37 pm I would also buy a copy of Alexis book (if subject to a reasonable discount of course) even though I am in the process of doing the route in the opposite direction.

After 46 years in the fire safety field, I am retraining for a zero hours job away from fire safety and H&S

One thing I would say is there is plenty of fire safety work out there. The devastating tragedy at Greenfell has (too) slowly led to significant changes in how fire safety is managed across residential accommodation and opened up many opportunities

Its expensive to get the correct training (others will be better places to advise you on that) and PL & PI insurances can be horrendous- but it's a good path to tread IMHO

Good luck in your new career 👍
Thanks for your reply, Messy! I wasn't aware of the PL & PI insurances... are these something that the employer covers or for me to handle myself? I did some Googling, but if you have a reliable source of info that explains this, I'd love to see a link.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy