Building Safety Act 2022

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Building Safety Act 2022

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi All,

Silly question time...but is there some sort of an 'idiots guide' which I can use to work out what buildings the new Building Safety Act applies to please?

We're being told that it is only residential premises with two or more residential units i.e. flats / hmo's etc. But the Gov site appears to show it applies to all premises, including commercial?!?

Any guidance much appreciated as always. .salut
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Building Safety Act 2022

Post by Alexis »

Bump
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Paul1979
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi All...anyone able to assist me with this one??
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Sorry I can't help I am afraid

I had stepped back from residential FRAs before this legislation was enacted but I do like this guide

https://builduk.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... Regime.pdf

Its not exactly what you wanted and it is written from a construction and design perspective, but I like its layout and it has helped me understand the changes. I am just pleased I won't need to get my head fully around it as I am stepping away from fire safety completely
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Messy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:35 pm Sorry I can't help I am afraid

I had stepped back from residential FRAs before this legislation was enacted but I do like this guide

Its not exactly what you wanted and it is written from a construction and design perspective, but I like its layout and it has helped me understand the changes. I am just pleased I won't need to get my head fully around it as I am stepping away from fire safety completely
Thank you very much for your help Messy. .salut

Many thanks in advance if anyone else can add to Messy's thoughts.

Paul1979

Post by Paul1979 »

Messy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:35 pm Sorry I can't help I am afraid

Thank you as always Messy for taking the time to reply - always appreciated .salut
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

No problem Paul

I have been looking for a BSA 2022 flow chart (as I am obsessed with them as a way of providing an aide memoire), but havent had any luck yet :(
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Messy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:22 pm No problem Paul

I have been looking for a BSA 2022 flow chart (as I am obsessed with them as a way of providing an aide memoire), but havent had any luck yet :(
Now I know nothing of this, but just doing a search I found the following? :dontknow:
https://todaysconveyancer.co.uk/buildin ... veyancers/

Laguna1967

Post by Laguna1967 »

Hi just putting Paul1979 question back on the radar as I,m keen to find out as well as I was under a similar impression.

However Fire Safety Responsibilities Section 156 of the Building Safety Act 2022 states: "These requirement apply to all non – domestic premises, such as where people work, visit or stay, including workplaces, and the non-domestic parts of multi occupied residential buildings ( eg communal corridors, stairways, plantrooms). The requirements do not apply within individual domestic premises. My confusion is around the non- domestic premises, such as where people work.

In addition the Act makes reference to FSO 2005, was wondering how this impacts Fire (Scotland) Act 2005 and The Fire safety (Scotland) regulation 2006.

Any view guidance greatly appreciated ( Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Laguna1967 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:10 am Hi just putting Paul1979 question back on the radar as I,m keen to find out as well as I was under a similar impression.

However Fire Safety Responsibilities Section 156 of the Building Safety Act 2022 states: "These requirement apply to all non – domestic premises, such as where people work, visit or stay, including workplaces, and the non-domestic parts of multi occupied residential buildings ( eg communal corridors, stairways, plantrooms). The requirements do not apply within individual domestic premises. My confusion is around the non- domestic premises, such as where people work.

In addition the Act makes reference to FSO 2005, was wondering how this impacts Fire (Scotland) Act 2005 and The Fire safety (Scotland) regulation 2006.

Any view guidance greatly appreciated ( Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere)
Welcome aboard Laguna. No need for apologies. Good to have you join us. .salut

Good also to bring this back again in the hope others can offer their thoughts.

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

My understanding is that the act has very little bearing on Scottish fire legislation, except in regard to things such as keeping records of cladding manufacturing details (which I guess makes sense to prevent Southerners using this as a loophole to potentially 'launder' their product somehow).
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Paul1979

Post by Paul1979 »

Laguna1967 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:10 am Hi just putting Paul1979 question back on the radar as I,m keen to find out as well as I was under a similar impression.

Hi Laguna, thanks for raising this - I’m still struggling to find a definitive answer too…..

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy