Fire evacuation dilemma

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

MrsPeacockinthestudy
Student
Student
Industry Sector: Public Sector

Re: Fire evacuation dilemma

Post by MrsPeacockinthestudy »

I'm realised that I never came back to update on how this problem was finally resolved, so here I am :)

It was an absolute nightmare to do but I'm in a place where I'm happy with the procedures and it's been tested with fire drills (albeit during quieter times so far). I ended up creating three different assembly points, with multiple fire wardens sweeping areas on their route out to one of those assembly points, and a building controller role acting as the central point for comms with the fire wardens and control panel. Each assembly point would have at least one fire warden at it with communication between them all via radio. Each role has its own physical pack, with hi viz, instructions, radio etc for them to take with them, which seems to have helped them.

All the staff have had training as fire wardens since I posted last, and some of them have also been trained with the evac chair. I'm currently trying to establish why or license says we can have a maximum of 7 wheelchairs on site at any one time when we only have 1 evac chair (7 is an entirely unreasonable number).

All in all, this procedure seems to be working well. We had a visit from the Fire Service recently who were happy with it.

The main issue that remains is staffing levels, since in order for this system to work we need more staff to be on site, either on rota or working in the small office (we have high levels of staff WFH). This is a management issue and I've made it clear to those in charge that correct levels of staffing are an absolute must.

This has been a big learning exercise for me and an interesting one!
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Brilliant news MrsP!

Well done for your determination as many would have given up at the first hurdle. The fire service are happy and you have 'enjoyed'(?) a valuable learning experience.

Congratulations on your success clapclap
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Messy wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:30 am Brilliant news MrsP!

Well done for your determination as many would have given up at the first hurdle. The fire service are happy and you have 'enjoyed'(?) a valuable learning experience.

Congratulations on your success clapclap
Yes indeed MrsP well done indeed! Another congrats from me and a thank you for returning with your update. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy