Dust frustrations

Have you recently had a safety moment? Share it in here and help raise awareness, start a conversation, encourage people to talk about HSE, spread the word! It might just save a life!

Moderator: Moderators

Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Dust frustrations

Post by Penfold »

Hi all

We have major works on site all summer when pupils are away this includes stonemasons on site replacing stone on some of the buildings and carving intricate designs.

A couple of weeks ago I went into the yard they are using to cut the stone and found white dust everywhere. I found the contractors and explained to them what's acceptable and how they should be controlling the dusts than just relying on RPE. They gave every excuse possible about dust extraction limits their view, wet cutting clogs the saw etc. I put it all in writing and sent to their bosses with our expectations of safety management when they work for us.

On Friday I saw huge plume of white dust when leaving office so went to stop them working and their boss turns up. Went through everything again about their safety, their contract to work safe when on site etc. It was the last cut they had to do over the summer (until next year) so I made them clear up. I called their boss into office to discuss and quick google search found multiple options they could use to protect themselves and others from dust and the boss was amazed it was all out there. It amazes me as they are a large contractor working with prestigious sites across the country and he didn't have a clue about enclosures with LEV installed that can be moved across site for a minimal cost on top of contract.

They have now ben told they cant work for us again unless they have these controls in place (and make sure they charge us for the additional controls in the contract) but it makes you think what the staff have been exposed to over the last 20+ years they have worked for the company. They are brilliant at the work they produce but at what costs to their staff???
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Dust frustrations

Post by Messy »

This is not my area of expertise but don't you get to see a copy of the RAMS before they start work?

This would allow you to intervene before having to confront angry/scary geezers on site !!!!!
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Re: Dust frustrations

Post by Penfold »

Hi Messy

Yes all reviewed and we were happy with the RAMS, but sometimes different in reality when the work starts. Its a good reminder to check the work meets the paperwork that office send through.

Penfold
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy