Fire doors - can they be swing doors

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Fire doors - can they be swing doors

Post by TWDB »

Hi, on a recent inspection of our stores area we found that the stores team have removed a sticking ltch to allow the doors to swing "freely" as its easier to pass through when carrying things - these doors are fire doors with immulsitant strips .

So i wanted to ask is this ok? allowed - doesn't seem right to me, and if not allowed - any thoughts on a solution? automatic door?

let me know you thoughts

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Fire doors - can they be swing doors

Post by Messy »

Its a bit tricky to answer this to be honest

If the door is required as a fire door, then it really should not be altered by somebody unless they are competent. If the door is to be downgraded from a fire door to a bog standard door, it really should trigger a review of your fire risk assessment.

You may be able to fit an acoustic door holder such as a dorgard - which releases on the sound of the fire alarm - but again, this would need to be considered as part of a FRA review as there are some limitations on the use of door holders and if you have a fire safety strategy, holding a door may be contrary to the aims in that document
TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

Post by TWDB »

Messy wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:13 pm Its a bit tricky to answer this to be honest

If the door is required as a fire door, then it really should not be altered by somebody unless they are competent. If the door is to be downgraded from a fire door to a bog standard door, it really should trigger a review of your fire risk assessment.

You may be able to fit an acoustic door holder such as a dorgard - which releases on the sound of the fire alarm - but again, this would need to be considered as part of a FRA review as there are some limitations on the use of door holders and if you have a fire safety strategy, holding a door may be contrary to the aims in that document
thanks Messy,

So this door was a "normal fire door" then the latch has been removed to allow swing (better access) this is not allowed unless you can down grade the door in question from not being a fire door? assuming a swing door can't be a fire door due to the nature of movement required.
Thanks
T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Does it need to be a fire door? From a risk to life perspective, do you need a 30m delay at this location in order to protect anyone who might be present while they evacuate?

If not, you may be able to get away with it, though you may wish to run it past your insurers as well.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

You can have swing doors as fire doors. I believe they are caled double action doors and you often find them in restaurants / kitchens where waiters have to push the doors in and out because their hands are full of plates so they cant pull.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy