External electrical transformers

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

External electrical transformers

Post by witsd »

Hey folks. My electrical knowledge isn't great, so thought I'd throw this one open for a discussion.

Medium-sized MSF.

Ground floor electrical substation located externally, directly adjacent to building. 6 x what are assumed to be 11KW→0.4KW transformers, managed by energy company.

2.5m high, wide-gauge metal fence on the three open sides, locked gate. No protection from above.

First floor residential windows located approximately 3m from nearest transformer.

So my concerns are threefold:

1) Access. A determined person could get over the fence without too much hassle. Honestly though, this is H&S rather than fire, so not really my problem.

2) Rubbish accumulation. Both blown in through the wide-gauge fencing and dropped from the windows above. This isn't the most salubrious of locations and it also tends to be very windy. The energy company do remove this when they visit for maintenance, but there's pretty much always some level of litter.

3) Proximity to the UPVC windows. We are pretty happy with the flammability of the cladding, but residential windows are not specifically fire resisting, and I wouldn't be happy with an external bin within 5m of the building, so why would I accept this?

So I guess the question is what do you think about the above situation? How reasonable (and possible) would it be to a) move or b) enclose such an area? What's the real risk of a transformer going bang?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Re: External electrical transformers

Post by Blackstone »

How long has substation been there?

Move, highly unlikely. Doubt energy company will do this.
Enclosing, not sure on standard for this.

Provided they are maintained correctly, the likelyhood of going bang is low.
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

As far as I know, it's as old as the building, so 1960s.

I've just never encountered one that wasn't inside a concrete cell within the building, and now I have six sites with this set up.

From an FRA point of view, would it be adequate to suggest this issue is raised with the supplier and leave it in their 'expert' hands?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I have to be honest, other than visually checking the condition of the substation and compound (storage, rubbish and fencing) I would not be too concerned.

A FRA is supposed to consider and deal with 'significant risks' relating to the flats and bearing in mind you are satisfied with the cladding on the flats, I would not automatically assess a moderate/ small substation as a significant risk.

Neither would I be hugely concerned about the proximity of the uPVC windows, assuming that the occupiers can escape from that flat (indeed all flats) without passing by the substation in the event of fire. You mention your policy re bins and keeping a 5m gap. That's fair enough, but I would argue in many locations a rubbish bin poses a far greater risk than a substation so the control measures would reflect that

But 3m is blooming close - especially from an EMF perspective. Although not a fire safety issue, I am aware some electrical distribution companies (Scottish & Southern are one) will visit domestic premises where there is concern to take EMF reading and inform the resident/landlord of the finding and reassure them of the risks when compared to other EMF risk in the home

I would make a note of the substation in the description of the premises part of the FRA, and perhaps record the EMF situation in 'further information', but then leave it there as the chances of the power company spending £100s of thousands moving or altering the site is as likely as me being appointed as the Pope ;)
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Just a word from me about Substations and their changes over the years. Not far from me is a substation that when I moved here some 30+ years ago consisted just of some large transformers and switchgear behind a fence.
Then, early 2000s or thereabouts, they added a lean-to roof over the switchgear (Google Earth 2011)
Sub Station.JPG
About 5 years ago all replaced with a nice big shed enclosure
20220329_125730.jpg

Still got the same 6ft fence though.... and this is near the centre of the village. All those houses around it used to be a factory making Timber Roof Trusses.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy