Risk Matrix Values

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Risk Matrix Values

Post by stephen1974 »

I hate risk matrix but work want them done. Rather than just throw some arbitrary numbers around I was trying to find some values for the likelihood side of things, ie, 1 in 10 chance, one in 100 chance and so on.

Anyone know where I can find one. I've searched and searched and searched but the overly cluttered internet just throws up bog standard 1x5 or red yellow green tables which mean didly squat.
RPN_MSC
Student
Student

Re: Risk Matrix Values

Post by RPN_MSC »

Is that possibly because they are just arbitrary :roll: Sorry, also not a fan of them.

I have never come across a reasoned breakdown of the scores for what it is worth.
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Post by Safety »

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

RPN_MSC no im not a fan either and i never ever use them on forms that i create for people unless the client specifically asks for them. Unfortunately, my current boss likes them and just handed me his shiny new forms, with massive great tick boxes for the types of haazards involed and a fething risk matrix.

Safety, thanks for those links. The first one, risk probability is the type of thing i was looking for, those the ones there are clearly just an example. I hoping there was more of a HSE approved thing, though to be honest its going to change industry to industry and the main players in my current industry dont like to share such data.

I think though we keep records and I may try and find the time to run up a few spread sheets and work out accident rates myself.

That said, just because an accident type hasnt happened yet... cant exactly say risk zero. Even a 1 with a serious of 5 wouldnt be much of an issue, but then, most RA's now only show the residual risk anyway. Meh, fething stupid system.
safetylady
Student
Student

Post by safetylady »

If you're looking for HSE approval you won't find it on risk matrices or numbers.
30 years ago, this nonsense seemed the right way to do RAs. at first. But now? Really?
The HSE example RAs give a format which is simple and effective. No numbers or HLM, just problem v solutions. If you follow that format who can fault it?
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Not looking for hse approved. It was simply something I saw once that said liklihood would be 1 in 10, 1 in 1000, 1in 10,000 type of thing.
The format I have to follow has been determined by others and it includes a risk matrix, I have no say in the format.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy