EV charging points - do they need individual isolation points? under PUWER regs? or Elec regs

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Civil Eng, HV Elec, Remediation Soil/Wat

EV charging points - do they need individual isolation points? under PUWER regs? or Elec regs

Post by TWDB »

Hi all,

I hope you are all rested after Christmas
Question

if so, With the isolation close to the EV charger point?

thanks

T
Update: taken a new job :D hopefully confidence and positivity will return with new challenge - scary though leaving current place after 16 years (6 years H&S !) :shock:
(previous signature: was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch)
ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: EV charging points - do they need individual isolation points? under PUWER regs? or Elec regs

Post by ddlh »

Not sure - but I checked the HSE website and found this article - and at the bottom it advises further reference to the Electricity Regs?

https://www.hse.gov.uk/mvr/topics/electric-hybrid.htm
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: EV charging points - do they need individual isolation points? under PUWER regs? or Elec regs

Post by Messy »

In a recent project where EV chargers were to be installed in a basement of a high risk building, we decided to not only provide individual isolation (to isolate supply to a defective unit) but link all EV chargers to the fire alarm system via an interface so that powered will be isolated when the fire alarm is activated - including a sprinkler activation in the car park.

We also fitted the isolator with a locking mushroom type push button with a keyhole in the centre, so once pressed, only a competent person can re-establish the supply- Each isolator is clearly marked with the number of the EV charger and the isolation points are located to allow staff to operate in an emergency

We have gone over and above standards and decided to use common sense as my assessment of fire growth in EV vehicles makes such fires a huge risk of death or serious injury. Plus it can take the fire service many hours to deal with such a fire, so a business continuity risk applies too if the building has to be evacuated for perhaps half a day or more

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy