Regulations on open fires in pubs

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

The Pom

Regulations on open fires in pubs

Post by The Pom »

A pub near where I live has installed this open flame feature. It got me wondering if they might be setting themselves up for trouble.

Open fires in pubs are nothing new, so it got me wondering what rules might apply in this instance, but couldn't find anything. Obviously, it won't go as far as banning candles on tables, but I would have thought there would be something.

Any thoughts/info?

248157000_6248900739700_4196739359802948847_n.jpg
Safety
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Food Manufacturing Industry

Re: Regulations on open fires in pubs

Post by Safety »

We have one in our local pub too, seems to be the in thing at them moment, I would hope they have been picked up in their fire risk assessment :roll:
but who knows, I searched the web too and couldn't find anything. .scratch
The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts..............
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Safety wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:16 pm I searched the web too and couldn't find anything. .scratch
Indeed. Plenty of stuff on fire prevention, but nothing on protecting punters from open fires that are part of normal operations.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

There is definitely no regulations or legislation prohibiting this ridiculous idea.

The fire risk assessment will definitely need to be reviewed and control measures introduced to protect the public - many of who will be drunk, some will be wearing highly combustible clothing and hairspray etc. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

I did a FRA on a Korean restaurant in Soho. Each table has its own hob (and extractor above) so punters can cook their own food. I was not expecting that!!
VENT.jpeg
There was no way to control the risk other than providing a warning on the menu and additional staff training. We also added discreet fire blankets in the restaurant.

Like the pub in the OP's question, the local authority have to consider fire safety when issuing a licence, so I would have a chat with them if you don't wish to approach pub management directly
The Pom

Post by The Pom »

Messy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:43 pm

The fire risk assessment will definitely need to be reviewed and control measures introduced to protect the public - many of who will be drunk, some will be wearing highly combustible clothing and hairspray etc. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

Add some brandy to the mix and it might not be the Xmas pudding that gets flamed....

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy