Intumescent strips - Paint

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Marko01

Intumescent strips - Paint

Post by Marko01 »

Afternoon, wonder if you could help?

I was recently inspected by Fire officer and he found two intumescent strips which had paint on them from the painted door frame which he said compromised the effectiveness of the door frame.

I am just curious as to whether those, with better knowledge than I, would agree that the paint negatively affects the integrity of the intumescent strip.

Thanks

Mark
billinom8s
Student
Student

Re: Intumescent strips - Paint

Post by billinom8s »

i would guess it depends on what the paint is made from, does it have a low flash point?

how much paint is on the strips?

if it was splashed then he sounds like he is being picky, if it's a sealing brush stroke that will stop the strip expanding and blocking the gaps then he has a good point.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

99% certainly an over enthusiastic Inspecting Officer

Most strips can be overprinted, but not cold smoke seals as they need to flex

What are these doors protecting?
8VUyau7

Post by 8VUyau7 »

As previously mentioned it depends on the use of the fire door, and whether cold smoke seals are fitted.

If it were just intumescent strips (without cold smoke seals) then the LABC suggest five coats of paint is acceptable.

https://www.labcwarranty.co.uk/blog/tech-update-painting-over-intumescent-strips/

If there is cold smoke seals, then they need replacing (probably)
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Last I checked (about 4 years ago) the British Standard said that 'up to five layers of paint' was acceptable.

How you are meant to determine the number of layers, or account for some layers being thicker than others, I have no idea.

Ultimately, the cost of replacing an intumescent strip is pretty low, so if in doubt, it's not a bad recommendation to make.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I havent seen that ridiculous statement in the British Standard.

How on earth do you measure a layer of paint?

To be honest , I wouldn't be to bothered about paint, unless it's fire door protecting a single staircase sleeping risk, or a L3 system in a hotel that uses heat detection in bedrooms rather than smoke detection.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy