Retrofit Intumescent strips

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Retrofit Intumescent strips

Post by Penfold »

Hi all

I'm just working through our fire risk assessments, the assessor has asked us to retrofit intumescent strips on some of our older door sets, however I have have a question that I just cant find anywhere:

"If you use router to take out channel to install the new strips will this alter the integrity of the door?"

My thoughts are the door wasn't designed to have the channel cut out, so by removing a small section of wood along the edges the door has been altered so no longer being used as they were originally designed?

We have looked at the stick on strips but on testing them they don't seem to last very long before the stickiness starts to fail. Some older door sets are being replaced completely (depending on risk level) but some areas are lower risk but still on FRA

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks

Penfold
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Re: Retrofit Intumescent strips

Post by witsd »

Technically, yes you are probably correct, but there's no way you are going to be able to get anyone to commit to anything.

Practically, I really can't see it making the integrity of the door worse than it currently is without the strips. You are removing a strip of wood (technically combustible) and replacing it with something fire-rated.

If an old plaster and lathe ceiling had a hole drilled trough it, you'd be happy to fill it with fire-rated mastic or whatever - you wouldn't demolish the entire ceiling and rebuild it!

Record your 'justifications in the face of no other data' (or something fancy-sounding like that) in the action plan of the FRA, and I think you will be covered.

My only other thought is that you seem to have decided that these strips need to be affixed to the edge of the door rather than the frame. It doesn't make much difference to your question, but it might be easier in some ways unless these are all double doors?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Post by Penfold »

Thanks Witsd for your reply. It only jumped out after a conversation with fire inspector a number of years ago at another employer who stated that it can alter the integrity, somehow my brain remembered that conversation!

We have looked at both options (door or frame mounted) but our Estates team would rather adjust the door than the frame but it is an option on some of the doors

Thanks again

Penfold
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
billinom8s
Student
Student

Post by billinom8s »

When we took on an H.M.O it had to be fitted with fire doors etc to be up to code. We the company turned up to replace the frames and fit the doors, they had to trim the doors and route out the slots for the safety strips to fit into the frames.

this was a professional company
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Have a look at the British Woodworking Federation website
There's some information and access to 3rd party certified joiners

https://firedoors.bwf.org.uk/knowledge- ... oor-seals/

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy