Quick answer needed

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Quick answer needed

Post by stephen1974 »

1. When attending a retail premises that does not have a fire strategy or compartment drawing, how would you go about applying a presumed strategy on which to conduct your assessment?

This is one of those questions my brain isnt wired to answer. Im assuming that there is an academic style answer to this but I dont have a clue what it is.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Quick answer needed

Post by Alexis »

Bump
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

The vast majority of buildings I carry FRAs on do not have a strategy document or fire compartment drawings as neither are required to satisfy compliance - although a number of enforcement teams are now insisting on a fire safety strategy to satisfy Article 11 of the Fire Safety Order.

The only part of the strategy I am interested in is their current emergency plan. Is it simultaneous, phased, progressive horizontal evacuation? Is there a time delay/staff search component to the fire detection arrangements? When known, I check the compartmentation supports that evacuation strategy - as far as I can from a visible inspection.

Then I consider other areas where compartmentation is critical. Do they have refuge points and do they have high risk areas such as plant rooms?

Stephen - I am interested why you specifically mention retail premises?
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

I was looking at a job and they sent over some pre-interview questions. They were a management company and looked after retail units so they specified that in the question. From the questions I get the feeling they didnt really know much about fire safety themselves and pulled questions from some academic source.

Never got any feed back on the answers. The question I posted was exactly what they asked me.
My response was along the lines of I wouldnt assume any strategy, I would treat it as a first assessment and advise the client on any issues found including on... and then I went on to list your standard things of evac plans, equipment checks, employee training etc...

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy