Bedroom doors opening on to stairs

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Paul1979
Industry Sector: Property Management including H&S
Occupation: Property Manager including reviewing of H&S assessments and implementing remedial actions...or trying to justify why they are over the top and an alternative solution can be found!!

Re: Bedroom doors opening on to stairs

Post by Paul1979 »

Hi hammer,

1) no, not free swing doors here - traditional self-closing FD30s.
2) building is of ground, first and second floors - about 6m to highest floor level.
3) strategy is for PHE...alarm is definitely monitored by ARC. What appears to happen is that the alarm sounds in the compartment where the fire has been detected and also at station on ground floor where staff are. The staff then investigate by looking at panel in main entrance and sending staff to check to see if actual fire or spurious.
4) building conversion completed around 1990's.
5) good point about the PCFRA which I will raise with the manager - they currently have PEEP's for each resident. High dependency residents are roomed on the ground floor level only which is a bonus!

Just one other thing...there is also an external escape stairway leading off of the stairway with the bedrooms opening on to the internal stair...I am guessing this is maybe compliant which is why it was signed off? Never too sure about external escape stairs in care homes, but I am guessing these are better than nothing!

Again, thank you all for your input and thoughts - really interesting hearing your different points of view.
"If life were predictable it would cease to be life and be without flavor." ../.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy