Beginning a career in health and safety

Introduce yourself in here if you like :wave:

Moderator: Moderators

Freeman_HandS

Beginning a career in health and safety

Post by Freeman_HandS »

Hi all, I'm Dom.

First time poster and keen on a career in health and safety. There seems to be a huge mix of health and safety professionals on this forum, and I wondered if anyone could give me tips on how to transition from a non-health and safety job (lab tech), to a health and safety advisor, responsible for implementing procedures and submitting reports of recommendations?

For background, I have a NEBOSH general certificate and I'm currently doing the NEBOSH environmental certificate. I plan to do the diploma once this is done. I just struggle to imagine myself being competent having done a few courses.

Did anyone else feel like this and, if so, how did you make the transition into a successful career?

Any advice hugely appreciated!
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Beginning a career in health and safety

Post by Alexis »

Hi Dom and a very warm welcome to HSfB. :wave:

You have asked the 64 dollar question that over the years many have asked in our forums with various replies. It isn't easy to find a H&S role without experience even with all the qualifications and with the Pandemic amongst us at the moment, gaining that all important experience by way of voluntary shadowing or attending Safety Groups to network, it may well be even more difficult at the moment.

I don't know if it would be possible in your case to gain some "experience knowledge" from your current H&S Advisor in order to see how your NEBOSH training is "applied" within your own workplace environment? You could get a feel for the impact your own organisation's work puts on the Environment and how this can be bettered. You could have a look at the various bits of H&S policies and see where they are applied. All good experience whilst we are in this lockdown.

We have a piece called "in the beginning" from our site founder and owner, Jack, on our main site pages that may interest you Dom. https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/A ... appen#wbb1

We also have past posts that I will search out for you and post in here.

Good luck with your H&S journey and I will look forward to hearing how you get on along the way.

I do know our amazing members will offer any assistance they can with advice, so don't hesitate to post anything that you may be questioning. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
SteveDDon
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by SteveDDon »

Hi Dom,

Just a suggestion, are you a member of a union that is recognised in your workplace? if so the Union H&S rep is a good place to get experience.

If the workplace doesn't have unions then employee H&S rep (see the H&S committee Regs) could be a good way to start.

I found that being on the H&S committee was a great start and just helping with H&S inspections gives a good practical insight to issues in the workplace and how to solve them.

Best wishes in your career
Unite H&S
majid

Post by majid »

Transitioning from a non-health and safety role to a health and safety advisor can be a rewarding career move. Some tips would be: Networking, mentorship, seining practical experience etc.
WinstonHuber

Post by WinstonHuber »

Your journey echoes mine in many ways. I once shifted gears from a non-tech background to software development, feeling the same uncertainty.
The NEBOSH certs are fantastic groundwork. Remember, competence grows with experience, not just courses. I found shadowing seasoned professionals invaluable.
And hey, while you're navigating this, have you thought about exploring side jobs from home? They can supplement your income and offer flexibility. I freelanced in graphic design during my transition; it kept me afloat and honed my skills.
Last edited by WinstonHuber on Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Post by WillPool »

Hi WinstonHuber :wave:

Welcome to HSfB

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy