Heating of rest areas.

Discuss all things environmental.

Moderator: Moderators

It wasn't me

Heating of rest areas.

Post by It wasn't me »

Hi, :wave: can anyone please tell me if there is a legal minimum temperature for separate work place wash room/wc's and locker/changing rooms please.
chrisbramall
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Water Utility Construction

Re: Heating of rest areas.

Post by chrisbramall »

have a look at l24 Workplace health, safety and welfare. (2013)

61 The temperature in a workplace should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius

66 In areas of the workplace other than workrooms, such as toilets and rest facilities, temperatures should be reasonable. Changing rooms and shower rooms should not be cold.

67 Temporary heating/cooling and other control measures given in paragraphs 63–64 should be provided where appropriate for employees
required to work in normally unoccupied rooms such as storerooms, other than for short periods and where there is a risk of working in temperatures
below those stated in paragraph 61.

So the way I read it is it MUST not be less than 16, but it should also be a reasonable temperature, this may be something above 16.
Chris Bramall MCIOB MIIRSM
It wasn't me

Post by It wasn't me »

Thanks for the info Chris, much appreciated, I would class a washroom and changing room below 10 degrees as being unreasonable, however the problem is how do you clarify reasonable within those workplace areas when nothing is set in stone, covid has not helped in that some think having windows open prevents the spread of the virus, the fact that more people will die of flu and pneumonia this winter and next etc seems secondary and immaterial.

2 years ago ice formed on the wet flooring in the washroom, it would seem only I had the sense to close the windows, however now with covid the door is left open. Sadly unless chapter and verse is provided I cannot see anything changing.
chrisbramall
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by chrisbramall »

That is the issue with temperature in any workplace that there is no absolute values, as it should be risk assessed based on the environment & reasonable practical, and there should be a level of consultation in order to establish what is a reasonable temperature.

the reasonable temperature in an office toilet/rest facilities may be substantially different to what is reasonable on a construction site.
LittleNell83
Student
Student

Post by LittleNell83 »

The ventilation of workplaces due to Covid is the government advice- therefore it isn't just people's opinions but also the government advice which is being implemented when opening windows (depending on how efficient air con etc is).

People with flu shouldn't be at work anyway but from statistics I saw, this year has been lower than average so far for flus etc due in part to social distancing.

Nell
chrisbramall
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by chrisbramall »

I'm not saying the area should not be ventilated for COVID-19, but the difficulty is to maintain the correct level of ventilation and an appropriate temperature in the area. It is not just a case of opening all the windows and letting people suffer, its satisfying both requirements.
chrisbramall
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by chrisbramall »

Quite topically just received an email from the HSE with a link to the following page

https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/equ ... lation.htm

which includes

Balancing ventilation with keeping people warm
Providing adequate ventilation does not mean that workplaces have to be cold.
Good ventilation is a balance between making sure workplaces are warm but keeping a flow of air going through an area.

Simple steps, such as partially opening windows, can be taken to ensure ventilation is maintained.
Natural ventilation can be used with heating systems to maintain a reasonable temperature in the workplace.

The law requires employers to ensure an adequate supply of fresh air in the workplace and this has not changed during the pandemic. Good ventilation, together with social distancing, keeping your workplace clean and frequent handwashing, can help reduce the risk of spreading coronavirus.
Our updated guidance will help you identify poorly ventilated areas of your workplace and provides steps you can take to improve ventilation while maintaining a comfortable temperature. It will apply in most workplaces and includes guidance on:
• balancing ventilation with keeping people warm
• identifying poorly ventilated areas
• how to improve ventilation
• ventilation in vehicles
The new ventilation and air conditioning guidance is part of our advice on making your workplace COVID-secure.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy