Lone Worker

Introduce yourself in here if you like :wave:

Moderator: Moderators

The Zedhed

Lone Worker

Post by The Zedhed »

Hi Everyone,
I’m new to the world of Health and Safety and so I’m after some advice please.
I’ve recently started working at a site where they decant Ammonia into drums and cylinders from bulk storage, no-one is allowed to operate the filling plant single-handedly (minimum of 2 people on site) however there are odd occasions (barely once a month) when the lorry driver has to come in on say a Saturday to load up 1 to maybe 6 drums (or maybe cylinders) using a forklift truck so he can make an urgent delivery. I’m not sure that this should or should not be done by a single person. Gut feeling says Lone Worker handling drums/cylinders of Ammonia is a no no but seeing as they’ve operated this way for years I wanted to get some guidance please. I’ve searched HSE site & Google etc but struggling to find a definitive on whether an FLT driver can work alone or the handling of dangerous substances (Ammonia) can be done alone.
Kind Regards
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Lone Worker

Post by Alexis »

Hi there Zedhed. :wave:

Just a welcome to our forums from me. I am not the one to reply constructively to your query, but I do know our members in-the-know will come in when they have a moment.

Thank you in advance to our HSfB professionals. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
The Zedhed

Post by The Zedhed »

Hi Alexis,

Thank you for the warm welcome :D
Chief White Halfoat
Student
Student

Post by Chief White Halfoat »

I'm no expert but I would think (with a few obvious exception, confined space etc.) that there isn't a definitive list of who can and can't work alone.

Instead, it would be as a result of a Lone Working Risk Assessment where this decision would be made.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy