If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

CPR Right Now - Resus UK

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

CPR Right Now - Resus UK

Post by Waterbaby »

../.

"Reports show that during the COVID-19 pandemic, the chance of survival in many countries might have decreased further because fewer bystanders are intervening when they see someone that has collapsed and stopped breathing.

We’re urging everyone in the UK to learn CPR right now. Because right now, even during the pandemic, there are people across this country who will need you to perform CPR if they have a cardiac arrest. "

https://www.resus.org.uk/watch

Related thread : https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/f ... er#p353575

WB
#SocialDistancing #FlattenTheCurve
todai

Re: CPR Right Now - Resus UK

Post by todai »

CPR is changing anyways shortly to 'chest compressions' only so I'm led to believe. especially if just a bystander.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

todai wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:36 pm CPR is changing anyways shortly to 'chest compressions' only so I'm led to believe. especially if just a bystander.
Compressions only is fine if in a big city as the first responders/ambulance can hopefully get to you in 4-5 minutes.

Doing 'Compressions' only without an open airway is pointless after that time since all you're doing is pumping stale, totally deoxygenated blood around.
If you can at least keep the airway open, then the bellows action of the compressions will suck in some oxygen, but breaths will be better.

Direct quote from the Resus Council website (with my italics and bold). I see no reason for this to change, because it is a fact:
Compression-only CPR describes the performance of uninterrupted chest compressions without rescue breathing. In many adults who suffer a cardiac arrest, the heart stops abruptly; breathing will have been normal (or nearly normal), so the blood should be well oxygenated. In this situation compression-only CPR may be effective for the first few minutes after the heart stops. This may provide time for the emergency services to arrive or an AED to be collected. Ultimately the oxygen will be used up and rescue breaths are required to give the victim the best chance of resuscitation.

Where cardiac arrest is caused by lack of oxygen (as in drowning and most arrests that occur in children) compression-only CPR will be much less effective.
Far too many people get confused between what should be performed by a First Aider trained in CPR, and the typical member of the public/bystander.

There are some damn fool First Aid Trainers who are teaching Hands Only to delegates on FAW and other workplace courses. :twisted:
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

todai

Post by todai »

bernicarey wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:35 pm
todai wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:36 pm CPR is changing anyways shortly to 'chest compressions' only so I'm led to believe. especially if just a bystander.
Compressions only is fine if in a big city as the first responders/ambulance can hopefully get to you in 4-5 minutes.

Doing 'Compressions' only without an open airway is pointless after that time since all you're doing is pumping stale, totally deoxygenated blood around.
If you can at least keep the airway open, then the bellows action of the compressions will suck in some oxygen, but breaths will be better.

Direct quote from the Resus Council website (with my italics and bold). I see no reason for this to change, because it is a fact:
Compression-only CPR describes the performance of uninterrupted chest compressions without rescue breathing. In many adults who suffer a cardiac arrest, the heart stops abruptly; breathing will have been normal (or nearly normal), so the blood should be well oxygenated. In this situation compression-only CPR may be effective for the first few minutes after the heart stops. This may provide time for the emergency services to arrive or an AED to be collected. Ultimately the oxygen will be used up and rescue breaths are required to give the victim the best chance of resuscitation.

Where cardiac arrest is caused by lack of oxygen (as in drowning and most arrests that occur in children) compression-only CPR will be much less effective.
Far too many people get confused between what should be performed by a First Aider trained in CPR, and the typical member of the public/bystander.

There are some damn fool First Aid Trainers who are teaching Hands Only to delegates on FAW and other workplace courses. :twisted:
not disagreeing with your points but compression only is coming in, as is the changes to using a neck collar already here.
witsd
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by witsd »

I was under the impression that compression-only CPR was being pitched at non-first aiders, because untrained persons who had a bit of knowledge were wasting too much time faffing about when they couldn't get the first breath in, and ultimately the CPR was less effective than if they had just done compressions.

For those people 'properly' trained, my understanding was that 'breaths and compressions' wasn't going to change.

Worth noting that my 20 years as a trained first aider finally came to an end earlier this year.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

todai wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:32 am
not disagreeing with your points but compression only is coming in, as is the changes to using a neck collar already here.
.scratch
What change about neck collar?
Having only recently renewed by FA Instr qualification, there is nothing I know of for Neck Collars in First Aid.

Please provide links to whatever you're referring to.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: Ex London Fire Brigade. Now 'retired' and providing bespoke fire safety solutions to a large worldwide portfolio of premises by an employer with long pockets and short arms!

Post by Messy »

Sounds like I need some CPR CPD!!

Seriously, can anyone recommend a quality (I am not paying!) first aid at work training course in London?

Neck collar during CPR?

I have performed CPR several times over the years with not much success. Saved 3, Killed at least 6!!

My favourite was a child rescued from an arson when Dad tried to kill the family. She was about 5 years old with no pupils as her eyes had rolled. I worked on her for 60 mins before an ambulance arrived. She was OK

My least favourite was a fella who vomited lager and lime into my mouth. Hated the taste of lime ever since

Its confusing as the format changes on every refresher. 5 to 1, 15 to 2, strike the chest- dont strike the chest. It sounds like one of Boris's covid press conferences 😉

I was thinking about a FA course so I hope there's some still being run
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

Messy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:20 am Sounds like I need some CPR CPD!!

Seriously, can anyone recommend a quality (I am not paying!) first aid at work training course in London?

Fist Aid training back up and running is a mix of formats, for example some providers are allowing some distance learning, with just some limited contact for practical.

I general, you'll find classes are probably a max of 5 or 6, just because of distancing rules, when I did my renewal, there were 8 of us but the venue was huge.
Either a mannequin each, or changing the face/lung for each delegate. This will likely vary on the brand of dummy being used due to the different designs. Practising/demonstrating dressings on wounds made from things like Swimming Noodles etc.

You can of course look to the so called 'Charity Sector' i.e. Red Cross/St Johns whose training divisions are anything but a charity in terms of pricing, or you could look for an independent OfQual Accredited course.
There's lots of Awarding Bodies out there supporting small businesses, some are sole traders, some a little larger.

The organisation which I use, on the occasions that I offer training, provides a Find a Course service where people offering Open Courses can list their courses. I cannot vouch for any particular course provider, as I don't know them, but it might help you in your quest.

https://www.nucoplus.com/?pagetype=cour ... ualgroup=0
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: Ex London Fire Brigade. Now 'retired' and providing bespoke fire safety solutions to a large worldwide portfolio of premises by an employer with long pockets and short arms!

Post by Messy »

Many thanks Berni 👍
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by bernicarey »

todai wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:32 am

Well the Draft European Resus Council Guidelines are out for Consultation until 5 Nov.

https://cprguidelines.eu/sites/573c777f ... omment.pdf?

High quality chest compressions
•Start chest compressions as soon as possible.
•Deliver compressions on the lower half of the sternum(‘in the centre of the chest’).
•Compress to a depth of at least 5 cm but not more than 6 cm.
•Compress the chest at a rate of 100–120 min with as few interruptions as possible.
•Allow the chest to recoil completely after each compression; do not lean on the chest.
•Perform chest compressions on a firm surface whenever feasible.

Rescue breaths
•Alternate between providing 30 compressions and 2 rescue breaths.
•If you are unable to provide ventilations, give continuous chest compressions.

Now ....what was that overconfident statement you made.....
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy