Is iema Cert a qualification

Discuss all things environmental.

Moderator: Moderators

guppy

Is iema Cert a qualification

Post by guppy »

Hi all

I am really hoping someone can help me, I have quite an urgent need to establish the IEMA Associate management certificate which I did back in 2014 is classed as a qualification.

Back then it was sold to me by the provider as a qualification and by passing the certificate that then allowed you to gain associate membership of the institution as well as being qualified.
Fast forward to now, I let the membership lapse (over 3 years) as you can imagine when you are paying out for other courses and professional memberships sometimes you have to make decisions on which to keep. IEMA want over £300 and for me to do an online exam which is not a problem as such but I need to prove that the cert I have is a qualification and having or not having membership of IEMA doesn't mean you do not have skills and knowledge needed to be a environmental practitioner it just helps.

Many thanks
wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Re: Is iema Cert a qualification

Post by wendolene26 »

I am not familiar with the IEMA Associate management certificate but in my experience when institutes such as this and IOSH (of which I am a member) set out their membership requirements, it normally includes examples of what is considered a relevant qualification for the various levels of membership. It might be worth making an informal enquiry to them and giving them the details of your current certificates and continued relevant experience for your Continuing Professional Development. It sounds as if the requirements for the membership levels may have been reviewed and updated since you were last a member which may explain why they are requesting you complete an online exam. I had a similar query when liaising with IOSH, and I found that picking up the phone and speaking to someone yielded clearer information than sending an email.

Hope this helps.

Wendo .salut
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.
guppy

Post by guppy »

Hi Wendo

No it's not about gaining IEMA membership I need evidence that the certificate is a qualification on it's own and that not having membership doesn't mean I am not qualified.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Hi guppy. I too am not up on IEMA, however, to me you have the qualification ..............

If you completed the Certificate in Environmental Management, which is...."benchmarked at Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) Level 5, the same as an HND or Foundation Degree.", then along with your experience, you are qualified.

Agree with Wendo to contact IEMA directly.

Will you let us know the outcome please guppy if you don't get a definitive reply in here?

Hope one of our members has the reply you need. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
guppy

Post by guppy »

Hi Alexis

Thanks for your reply, the qualification I did was the old associate management certificate which as I understand it is no longer available so when I try to get an answer from IEMA there not very forth coming and just keep saying I can join them so they do admit they recognise it.
The problem is getting my company to recognise it.

So basically I am going through a redundancy process and my company don't want to recognise the certificate as a qualification and ultimately say that I would have to be a member of IEMA for it to stand which as you can imagine is very suss to me.

I seem to remember at the time NEBOSH regonised it as covering a part of their diploma syllabus and would allows us to sit one of the their diploma exams with that qualification. Some people on the course even managed to get their companies to pay the extra money and do the NEBOSH environmental diploma as well because of it.

I have been told, that is why IEMA had a big change a couple of years ago as the NEBOSH environmental qualifications were becoming more popular than IEMA's.

I guess my argument goes along the line of if you did you NEBOSH general cert is never runs out and is accepted as a level 3 qualification. There is no where that says you have to be an active member of IOSH. Being a member just adds evidence that you keep up to date with legislation.
So I need to kind of prove that here with the IEMA cert.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

I see what you are saying guppy. I am going to have a search about now to see if I can find any sort of proof.

In the meantime, if any of our members have any ideas, thank you in advance. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
guppy

Post by guppy »

Thank you Alexis means a lot.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy