Final Exit Door Direction

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

MickG

Final Exit Door Direction

Post by MickG »

Hi All

I think i know the answer to this, but wanted to check (it is Friday after all!)

We have a small laboratory (mostly aqueous stuff, very limited quantities of flammables) usually occupied by around 3 or 4 people. There are two fire exits from the lab. One, back to the main corridor and out to the main door. The second is a final exit from the lab to the outside.
This second door is a 'normal' door, i.e. normal handle - Am I correct in thinking that this is OK, rather than the need for a push bar? The area is only used by our staff and we have 'trained' them how to turn the handle to open the door.
The main issue is that the door opens inwards. Can we apply the same logic to our risk assessment - it is a secondary exit, only used by our, very small number of staff, and they have been trained how to open it correctly to get out.
- We can also document the adequacy of this procedure with successful fire drills.
Is this acceptable, or should we turn the door around to open out???

Thanks
Mick
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Re: Final Exit Door Direction

Post by Messy »

Doors should open in the direction of travel, but must do so in certain circumstances:

Where a crush could occur - so where 60 or more persons may need to use it, or perhaps less if likely to arrive at the door simultaneously or drunk!

Where people need to get through the door in a hurry. This could be an escape from a warehouse containing material where a fire may develop rapidly, or a commercial kitchen where deep fat frying takes place, or a laboratory with flammable liquids.

It is all about risk assessment. In this case, if the quantities of flammable material is low, with 3 or 4 staff (no public)- it may be that you can justify leaving the door as it is.

A large and brightly coloured 'PULL' sign on the door, instruction during staff & contractor induction and maybe blocking the main door during a fire drill may well be mitigating control measures where a low occupancy/risk situation applies, but only you can determine that. Make sure you record any justification in your fire risk assessment document

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy