Enforcement

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Fireriska

Enforcement

Post by Fireriska »

The fc1 syllabus states there are 3 types of enforcement.
1# Alterations notice.
2#Enforcement notice,
3#Prohibition notice,

I am struggling to get my head around this , surely an alterations notice and prohibition notice are both enforcement notices?

I get what a prohibition notice is , but what is the difference between an alterations notice and an enforcement notice?

Does any one have any practical examples ?

Cheers ,

Rob.
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Enforcement

Post by bernicarey »

Rob
Always best to go to the horse's mouth so to speak.
Take a look at Part 3, s29-31 of the RFSO where the 3 Notices are detailed. That should give you the info you require.
if still having a problem, come back here again.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2005/1541/contents
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Fireriska

Post by Fireriska »

Nope still don't get it !
I was hoping for a workplace example of what would attract an alterations notice , and what would attract an enforcement notice.
Sorry for sounding dumb.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

An Enforcement Notice is issued where failing to comply with the Fire Safety Order have occurred. The breaches will be listed and failing to comply with a Enforcement Notice within a stated time is in itself an offence. This are common and issued daily

Examples: No Fire risk assessment, poor MOE, poor fire alarm system etc

A Prohibition notice is a rare beast for the most serious cases

They can be defined as where a risk “so serious” exists NOW and requires a senior officer to authorise and sign them, so they are used sparingly.

The Notice will state the use of all or part of the building should be restricted to relevant persons It’s the only part of the FSO that can apply to domestic dwellings - if those dwellings are accessible via parts of a building falling within the scope of the FSO (common parts of flats or Landlords accommodation above and accessed thru a pub)

Its common for an Enforcement Notice to be issued at the same time

Examples: Escape routes blocked by walls, A significant lack of fire separation (including in one case a reception built in the only staircase of a 6 storey hotel), Excessive travel distances.

An Alteration Notice is not a penalty is the way the above notices can appear, An Alteration Notice is almost the same as the old Fire Certificates insofar as the Fire Enforcement Authority keep a level of control over changes to the premises that does not occur in any other building, and especially apply to those with technical fire safety solutions.

It can be loosely defined as where it is possible that a serious risk that is reasonably foreseeable IN THE FUTURE -

As a result of this notice, a Responsible Person MUST inform the enforcing authority of the details of any proposed changes - before he takes them and supply a copy of the FRA

A Prohibition Notice can be issued with an Alteration Notice

Alteration Notices are generally issued when a fire safety engineered solution, particularly a novel or unique approach has been applied which if it fails or is altered, can create a risk to relevant persons:

Example of actual Alteration Notices & what they relate to:
A Heathrow hotel - water mist system/fire alarm link to neighbouring building/a shared MoE with a neighbouring building
Heathrow tunnel - smoke control systems/Fire detection and CCTV installations
Fireriska

Post by Fireriska »

Thank you very much Messy for taking the trouble for such a thorough reply , I understand now cheers.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy