If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Installing CCTV Cameras

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Ader1

Installing CCTV Cameras

Post by Ader1 »

If working on CCTV cameras, which are placed on street lights no higher than say 4 meters usually, what type of access equipment is suitable to use? I would have said a ladder but is a ladder suitable for working against a lamp post? What's the best way of securing it? Thanks.

Andyblue
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Re: Installing CCTV Cameras

Post by Andyblue »

As a quick reply - so you shin up a ladder and keeping three points of contact at the top, how much work could you safely do on the cctv? MEWP/ cherry picker seems the way to go and do so safely.

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Depends on a few factors:
The time required.
The complexity of the task, i.e. tapping into the supply at the lamp head I assume...

Crucial one, how strong is the lamppost? Many modern aluminium ones can't take the weight of a ladder.

If it can take the weight, there are Ladder Stand-offs that are notched to go against a post or building corner, also strap devices that go across the top of the ladder.
You can tie off to the base of the post.
You can use a waist strap to secure to the ladder, thus having 3 points of contact.
So do a Risk Assessment based on these factors and whatever other factors are involved.

Don't forget that telephone engineers still climb telegraph poles in rural areas to work; it's not all green boxes and underground cable/fibre.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Ader1

Post by Ader1 »

OK thank you for both replies. The options are as far as I can see a ladder or a mewp. I suppose a scaffold could also be used but it wouldn't be reasonably practicable. I'm confused as I haven't been asked to suggest either just all the possible control measures when working on a CCTV camera for a short period of time. Less than 10 minutes. But is suggesting a ladder or a mewp control measures? I'm getting a little confused. Are means of access control measures? It's a hypothetical scenario.

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy