Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Hand Gel fire

Post by Penfold »

Hi

Does anyone know anything about this incident in Norway?

Trying to find out the background to the incident and any other details or even if its true

It was passed onto me by a contractor

Thanks

Penfold
Attachments
Lessons Learnt - Ignited Hand Sanitiser.pdf
(235.18 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."
wendolene26
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas / Renewables / Consultancy

Re: Hand Gel fire

Post by wendolene26 »

We got the very same safety alert / lessons learned document passed to us from our Client who received it from their chemicals supplier. Other than what was included in the document, I don't have any further information though.
You are only a millimetre or a millisecond away from the next incident.
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Post by Penfold »

Ok thanks
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

WHO have safety advice for alcohol hand gels

Its mainly aimed at health care premises which traditionally would be the main users of gel, but in the new normal its everywhere and bound to be stacked in plant rooms and electricity intake cupboards

The guidance covers storage, use and installation of hand washing points. A good guide from a trusted source.

https://www.who.int/gpsc/tools/faqs/abhr2/en/
safetylady
Student
Student

Post by safetylady »

Although not the same recirculated 'incident' as this one: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/safety-moment/
I sense a similarity. On same lines as the mid-2000 posters with car on fire as a warning to not use a mobile phone seen at some fuel stations.
Penfold
Crikey DM
Crikey DM

Post by Penfold »

Thanks all, and interesting read safetylady
Siblo
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Siblo »

Hi Guys,

I received this today
dfdeaa_0c026ff7b6734d6692c4d0bcdc2f0112.pdf
(251.37 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Its a modification of the earlier one but this time backed by some big names

I also emailed the contact listed at got a reply stating it was genuine, please don't all email the guy, if you want proof I'll screenshot his answer.

Ant yet I still don't believe it.

Anyone heard any more about it

TIA

Siblo

PS. a quick google finds nothing more than some car fires because people leave the bottles in cars, which then go on to state it shouldn't happen until it reaches 700 degrees, which the inside of a car doesn't, unless it's actually already on fire.
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

Whether the Highways Agency report is true or not, the risk of fire when using sanitisers often very rich in alcohol is very real.

The World Health Organisation have issued advice to heal care providers (see my post above) that states:

Allow the handrub to dry: Staff should be advised to let their hands dry and the vapours disperse after using alcohol handrub, which minimises these risks. The How to Handrub posters state clearly: "once dry, your hands are safe"

Warm hands will evaporate the alcohol quickly, but of course there has been a change in behaviour as more people carry the gel with them and apply it at the workplace before immediately getting back to work - rather than in a washrooms, where the short walk back to the worksite gives time for evaporation

Instead of querying the authenticity specific accidents to see if they are true (albeit, never a bad thing to do), I would suggest that in industries or workplaces where static or other high energy ignition sources are likely, some immediate comms be issued in relation to the risk of ignition and the fact its an invisible flame

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy