If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Career change - Advice required (NEBOSH etc)

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Grizp672

Career change - Advice required (NEBOSH etc)

Post by Grizp672 »

Hi all,

Due to me spending more and more time at home these past few weeks, and drinking one or two bottles of wine too many... I've decided to take stock of things and have come to the conclusion that my time off could be better spent educating myself.

I've been working as an architectural surveyor for several years - mainly office based with trips to site to conduct said surveyors - for a large retail PC. Health & Safety always appealed to me as a career, but it was something I always put to the back of my mind as a "don't have time right now" sorta thing.

With a wealth of time on my hands now, I've decided to take the steps required to make the change. My ultimate goal - being able to work within the Health & Safety industry.

I've spoken with several companies via the phone - all of which are still taking on new people to complete their courses - the only sticking point is, they don't know when the next available exams will be.

What I decided to do (under my own steam - please feel free to advise), was to begin my NEBOSH General Cert and NEBOSh International Dip, running concurrently.

I'm quite an active learner and do well on my own, reading and researching - I've always found it a better way to learn. That said - I understand the need for classroom based learning too.

My questions are as follows;

If i undertake my NEBOSH General Cert during my down time in the next few weeks and bring myself to a point where I'm comfortable with knowing the required information. Could I then begin to work on the International Dip Concurrently - waiting for exam dates as & when?

Another question that jumps to mind is... Given my lack of experience in Health & Safety, what are the chances of me being able to actively seek employment in the industry with just the qualifications when Covid hits the back burner?

Keep in mind that I've worked closely with construction contractors, shopfitters, electrical contractors, British & Scottish Building standards etc on and off for the past few years...I'm unsure as to if this will help or hinder the jump to HSE.

Apologies for the marathon post girls & guys... However; if you have time to spare some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Griz.

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Career change - Advice required (NEBOSH etc)

Post by Alexis »

Hi Griz. Very nice interesting post, which I am sure will be responded to with various suggestions by our amazing members. :D

I am a great believer in good things always being found from bad happenings and this virus hitting the World right now is certainly offering us all opperchancities (a famous saying of our Jack Kane's) such as your own. .salut

Wine thoughts aside, (of which we understand :lol: ) With your background and your method of being able to study, I will hold fire on my usual initial advice that the health and safety road is not as easy as people think, is not a "quick" industry to gain entry into and refrain from my own suggestions. I would, however, be very grateful if our members who have been there, done that, have their own consultancies and know more detail than I do about the new NEBOSH way of doing exams to come in when they are free with their suggestions. Thank you in advance folks. .salut

You mention you have contacted many providers for information. I wonder if you have also contacted NCRQ? If not, maybe worth a call to them also. Again, perhaps our members who have been down this path of study will offer their thoughts just to give you other options.

Wishing you every success going forward in your new career within the H&S World. .salut
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Get Listed for Free on our New Business Directory

Grizp672

Post by Grizp672 »

Alexis,

Many thanks for the reply, any advice and input is appreciated!

I will for sure have a look in to NCRQ and see what results it yields. To the rest of the community - I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the above!

Many thanks in advance,

Griz.

Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GlenDoc
Industry Sector: Refrigeration / Oil & Gas / Pharma

Post by Blackstone »

Hi Grizp,

From memory and looking into NEBOSH diploma recently, exams are normally middle and end of the year, so realistically the next exams would be end of year unless they add some more when conditions allow.

I would imagine that exposure to the industries you mention will give you a good base and something to draw from when you get to be applying for H&S roles.

Good luck!

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy