If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Help needed - Covid 19 & PPE

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Woody_cj

Help needed - Covid 19 & PPE

Post by Woody_cj »

I work in the drainage sector and we are being asked by the water companies to keep operating to keep all the stock piled loo roll moving as it is flushed away.

we are risk assessing all our tasks but there are some where it is just not posible to keep social distancing it just requires two people to work closely together, yes we can look to limmit these tasks but it is not possible to totaly eliminate as in some cases it is operational critical.

does anyone have any guidance on what PPE we should be using when working in close proximity. the only advice i can find all relates to treating people with the virus.

most of our staff have 1/2 face respirators alrady with P3 filters and have to wear light eye protection but looking to see if there is any guidance on needing to go over and above this.

thanks

chris

ShaneJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Industry Sector: Food Processing

Re: Help needed - Covid 19 & PPE

Post by ShaneJ »

Hi Chris,
I'm no expert on COVID-19 but, as afar as I can see, you're covered in protecting your employees. There are two ways of contracting COVID-19, according to the latest government advice:
1. Secretions can be directly transferred into the mouths or noses of people who are nearby (within 2m) or possibly could be inhaled into the lungs.
2. It is possible that someone may become infected by touching a person, a surface or object that has been contaminated with respiratory secretions and then touching their own mouth, nose, or eyes (such as shaking hands or touching doorknobs then touching own face).

If your staff are wearing protection which covers mouth, nose and eyes, the routes of entry seem to be covered.

It might be necessary to change them into full-face protection, if your assessment thinks it is.

I'm obviously not aware of the whole process at your works, but I assume (if they are in close contact with faecal matter and loo roll that may contain the virus (?)) that you have showers or other washing facilities, and safe changing facilities. I'd look there to ensure disinfection of clothing and surfaces in these areas is complete, and that employees can be thoroughly cleaned (especially hands and face) after potential exposure.
Life is like a game of cards. The hand that is dealt you represents determinism; the way you play it is free will.

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy