We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Terrorism attach - company policy and procedures for workers

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

TWDB
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Construction,Contaminated land Water

Terrorism attach - company policy and procedures for workers

Post by TWDB »

Hi,

With another terrorism attack this weekend in London , (my thoughts are with those effected)

does anyone have any information/ or examples of a policy/ procedure etc. that I can build on.

we have a few projects starting in London, and want to provide information and support/ guidance to our staff - working there and in particular but working anywhere.

lots of info and App's and advise out there, so want to bring together

I hope that makes sense.

regards
T
was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch

PaulDonaldson
Trainer of all, master of none
Trainer of all, master of none
Twitter: safety-heart

Re: Terrorism attach - company policy and procedures for workers

Post by PaulDonaldson »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicat ... ct-griffin

Project Griffin was previously issued by the Govt and gave advice for companies and staff on what to do in the event of a terrorist attack.
Although it has been withdrawn there is still some advice here.
I have the previous advice should it be required.
If you do what you always done, you will get what you always got.
http://www.safety-heart.co.uk Lets us put safety at the HEART of your business

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: Ex London Fire Brigade. Now 'retired' and providing bespoke fire safety solutions to a large worldwide portfolio of premises by an employer with long pockets and short arms!

Post by Messy »

I am sorry, but is this approach relevant in that, do you see this risk as significant? It appears that your business is based away from London and I wonder how your assessment has resulted in such action?

I am not saying you are wrong as of course you know the details. It's fair to say if your staff are working in Whitehall or Heathrow, the risk would be greater than if they are working in Ruislip or Biggin Hill

More people die and are seriously injured on London Underground than are harmed by terrorist attacks. I understand staff might have anxieties, but that should not influence H&S procedure, advice or policy

TWDB
Jnr Member
Jnr Member
Industry Sector: Construction,Contaminated land Water

Post by TWDB »

Thanks Both,

Company works all over the UK including all large cities including central London, so would like to provide clear information for our staff to make informed decisions
T
was motivated once ..................... searching to get it back ! .scratch

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

TWDB wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:59 pm
Thanks Both,

Company works all over the UK including all large cities including central London, so would like to provide clear information for our staff to make informed decisions
T
I understand your position, and Messy's comments.
As someone who in the 80s/90s spent several years searching under my car every time I returned to it, I know sensible precautions are worth taking.
I would give some advice and guidance, without scaring the living daylights out of them.
Sensible advice about remaining alert in high density situations, like public transport.
Not being afraid to speak up if they see something suspicious, not leaving it to someone else because they don't want to create a fuss over nothing.
At the moment, the focus is on attacks where the perpetrator is directly involved; but don't forget that other forms of attack are always available to them and the situation could change at any time. .salut

Some links here on the pages that replaced the old guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/act- ... -elearning
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

grim72
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: goodtogosafety
Industry Sector: Safety inspection systems

Post by grim72 »

A few links with some good advice that you can use/hand out to employees:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat ... ity-office

https://www.redcross.org.uk/get-help/pr ... ist-attack

There is also the CitizenAid app that might be a useful tool for concerned employees to add to their phones - I haven't used it myself but I know it won awards when first launched a few years ago plus its free which is always a bonus lol https://www.citizenaid.org/home
Grim72
Good to Go Safety - Providing you with a safer workplace

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes

witsd
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by witsd »

Yeah, I'm solidly in the 'no' camp here.

Your first step is to assess the risk, looking at the actual likelihood, rather than the amount of attention these events cause. Even allowing for London working, are your employees more likely to be hit by a bus or killed by a terrorist? Have you issued guidance on how to safely cross roads? 49 people are hit by lightning in the UK – have we rolled out the 'bottoms in the air' self protection courses yet? :D

Of course this might change if you think your employees or work sites are specifically likely to be targeted, but...

Having previously worked for a building exactly on the edge of the square mile, that had some reasons to be targeted by a number of different groups, our entire procedure was 'lock the doors and retreat inside' or evacuate to a separate, distant, indoor assembly point, depending upon police advice. And that was it.

(I can confirm that nothing has changed, despite the apparent increase in terrorist activity over the last 6 years or so since I left).
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy