If Facebook Groups are your thing, join ours and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Getting into HSE as a 55 year old?

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

benboro1

Getting into HSE as a 55 year old?

Post by benboro1 »

Has anyone successfully entered the job market in HSE at this age or older? I gained the Nebosh International Oil & Gas Certificate 2.5 years ago & whilst I haven't actively pursued a HSE role that much so far as I've been working in E&I roles that I'm now fed up with.

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: Getting into HSE as a 55 year old?

Post by WillPool »

benboro1 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:02 pm
Has anyone successfully entered the job market in HSE at this age or older? I gained the Nebosh International Oil & Gas Certificate 2.5 years ago & whilst I haven't actively pursued a HSE role that much so far as I've been working in E&I roles that I'm now fed up with.
Hi benboro1, welcome to the forums :wave:

I was 40 when I started in H&S after a career in the military.

To me I wouldnt use the age as a disadvantage but sell yourself for the amount of experience you have.

For instance if you worked in a particular industry then you understand the procedures and processes and will have had to follow/comply with various safe systems of risk (permits, Method Statements, Risk Assessments..................................) as well as perhaps having 'on the tools qualifications.

To me that is a bonus to the employer rather than taking a "NEBOSH Newbie" with none of the experience listed above.

For me age is never an issue, whether younger or older, its about what you bring to the job, experience (not just HSE), drive, passion and if you get to interview for any HSE role then it is how you sell yourself at interview.

There are lots of threads on the forums about getting into HSE, that you can search. Main points are perhaps do some volunteer work to get your foot in the door in HSE as well as joining IOSH/IIRSM for branch/network meetings to showcase your talent ;)

Good luck with the job hunt :thumbsup:

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy