We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Safety of Petrol storage

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Snr Member
Snr Member

Safety of Petrol storage

Post by stephen1974 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:45 pm

Situation
Underground storage tanks from a former petrol filling station are in use on a commercial site for their own fleet of vehicles, not public use.

What inspections & regulations, if any, are they subject to? information I have found so far is all relating to filling stations for the public.

Man, just realised, im about to die under a mounting of EPA regs over this as well.

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Safety of Petrol storage

Post by bernicarey » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Surely The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations 2014 are applicable to storage whether public access or not?

As I read them, they are applicable to a workplace used, or intended for use, for the dispensing of petrol;

and the definition of dispensing simply means from 'storage tank' to 'tank feeding an internal combustion engine'...

so IMHO, the same rules and regs would apply as required by the inspecting authority, i.e. local council? .scratch
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

stephen1974
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by stephen1974 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:01 pm

Thats my thinking as well at the moment but i get the feeling its just one in a long list of regs and we've looked through that one and its not giving us certain answers, just refers you to other things, which refer you on again. Some stuff has been withdrawn pending review, other stuff is purchasable, such as the Blue Book.

Its an interesting one to investigate.

stephen1974
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by stephen1974 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:34 pm

Clients are going to love this... So far i'm looking at inspections, certifications and licenses. I suspect thats going to run in to the thousands right there.

Andyblue
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Andyblue » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:38 am

Have they looked at the financial and practical implications of the alternative of decommissioning the underground tank and using a fuel card and bunkering!

stephen1974
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by stephen1974 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:03 pm

They've barely looked in to the fact they have underground storage. I think they assumed their pump was attached to an undiscovered oil field.

Actually it doesnt look as though its going to be expensive at all. £60 for a certificate. Though I think thats just for the certificate and not for the cost of inspection and assessment. Spoke with a chap from the local council and he outlined what they needed to do.

Apply for a certificate, the council will inspect and assess and right up a schedule of inspection for them. Job Done, assuming no nasty surprises come up in the inspection.

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy