We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Definition of an industrial unit

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Snr Member
Snr Member

Definition of an industrial unit

Post by stephen1974 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:10 pm

This is in regards to fixed wiring inspection, where for office and shop type places its 5 years but for industrial units its 3 years.

Looking at a car dealership you have 3 different areas, the showroom, the parts store and the body shop. Would the body shop be considered industrial? yes/no and why? I came across a distribution board the other day where the electrician has said the next inspection should be in 3 years and the only reason i can think of is he is classing the body shop as industrial. I've never seen any other electrician delcare 3 years.

The definition of industrial I've seen is manufacturing, processing and assembly. I don't really think repairs qualify for that and other people I have spoken to agree and have never seen any other site saying 3 years for fixed wiring. Just wondering if we are all missing a more detailed definition of what constitutes an industrial unit.

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Definition of an industrial unit

Post by bernicarey » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 pm

As this is in regards BS 7671 Wiring Regs, I guess it might be suitably explained in that document, unfortunately it is not in the online subscription for Glasgow Libraries, so can't be checked readily.
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

stephen1974
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Definition of an industrial unit

Post by stephen1974 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:54 am

7671 doesnt cover it as a definition, just says industrial 3 years.
IET Guidance Note 3 does the same.

Tried to look under council planning permissions and a body repair shop and this seems to suggest its light industrial.

I'm going to go with 3 years.

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy