Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

safetypaul
Student
Student

NEBOSH or NVQ or NCRQ

Post by safetypaul »

hi all,

its been a while since i posted anything in the forum but this one i am really struggling with!!

I have been looking at these for the past year and i am still not sure which one is best for me!

so technically the NCRQ route looks to be the best option in terms of my current role/situation (currently working in a H&S role)

the NVQ is what my colleague has completed and that suited his learning style best

but i cannot get away from the fact that NEBOSH seems to be the prestige version of these and one that will always look better on both my CV and LinkedIN profile

i know this will be a lot more work but i am kinda of the thought if am going to put the work in then i should get the most from it

also I would be looking to complete which ever one i do via distance learning as this has suited me previously

looking for some thoughts, guidance or opinions of these and also any comments from anyone who has done any of these via distance learning

thanks in advance! .scratch .scratch
WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Construction/Civils/Telecomms

Re: NEBOSH or NVQ or NCRQ

Post by WillPool »

Paul

This particular question has been asked many times on the forums :)

If you search the forums, this may give you some assistance ;)

You have partly answered your own question in that it is horses for courses and will depend on your personal circumstances and learning style ../.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
safetypaul
Student
Student

Post by safetypaul »

Thanks Will,

i will have a look back and see if i can find any
bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

I concur with Will.
At least with the NEBOSH, everything is available, Study materials leading to Exam questions.

With NVQ/NCRQ, they are evidence based, so what do you do if you can't obtain that bit of evidence?

I don't personally know how it works with regards these H&S scenarios, but I have done a management level NVQ in the past and some of the evidence gathering required a certain amount of ingenuity, invention and tangential thinking to obtain it.

For example, if you're in Warehousing, how do you gather evidence about scaffolding?
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD »

Deleted
Last edited by CAD on Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKD
Student
Student

Post by SKD »

I agree with CAD

I have did NEBOSH General, Fire and environmental Certs, but much prefered the NCRQ diploma. I am now halfway through the NEBOSH MSc program, which I am enjoying and is all research-based.

However, as CAD I have also had interviewers ask about NCRQ, apart from one interviewer who also studied NCRQ.
kevlarion
Blue Sky Moderator
Blue Sky Moderator

Post by kevlarion »

Never did nebosh certificates, I jumped straight into the national diploma.
if you want to learn about H&S in fileds other than the one you work in then I would say Nebosh is the best route.
I have a very low opinion of NVQs. These can be easily obtained by presenting false evidence (ie a form that was made up particularly for a requirement or a statemeent from a work colleague with is not entirely true) and with less effort than the diploma. I qualified as an NVQ internal verifier some time ago and the number of dodgy documents assessors had accepted at face value was frightening.
I know nothing about the NCRQ except that it was set up to compete with nebosh, so I cna't express an opinion on that except to say that I don't see many adverts that ask for qualifications that are not from the national examination board for health and safety.
If it isn't broken, that doesn't mean you can't improve it. (Do three negatives make a positive ?)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy