Noise, Light, Vibration Surveys

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Safety Man

Noise, Light, Vibration Surveys

Post by Safety Man »

Hi All,

Looking for a couple of quick fire answers regarding the requirements for Noise, Light and Vibration surveys. Currently working overseas and not regulated and struggling to convince the powers that be that we need to carry out a noise, lighting and vibration survey due to the environment in which we work in and potential risk exposed to the workers.

Are there any specific requirements (based on UK regs) in term of intervals in which these surveys are required to be carried out or is it just based on a risk assessment?

Also do you need specific training to carry out the surveys or is buy the appropriate equipment and a bit of self training enough to produce an adequate survey/report?

I am starting to dig into the ACOPs, just looking if anyone can help me get straight to the point with some clear advice?

Appreciate any advice so I can try get some ammunition to change the perception on this.

Cheers
Safety Man
Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Noise, Light, Vibration Surveys

Post by Waterbaby »

#DrowningPrevention, #RespectTheWater
PaulDonaldson
Trainer of all, master of none
Trainer of all, master of none
Twitter: safety-heart

Post by PaulDonaldson »

Control of Noise at Work Regs
Control of Vibration at work Regs
Lighting would come under Workplace(health, safety and Welfare) Regs
All have ACoPs and guidance to follow Noise is L108 Vibration L140 and Welfare L24
Hope this helps
If you do what you always done, you will get what you always got.
http://www.safety-heart.co.uk Lets us put safety at the HEART of your business
Blackstone
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Industry Sector: Refrige / Oil & Gas / Pharma / Aerospace

Post by Blackstone »

When you mentions surveys, I assume you mean monitoring?
What equipment is creating the noise and vibration and how long might persons be exposed?

I would be treating them as 3 separate projects as each is large enough on its own.
Noise - I went down the route of hiring dosimeters to give personal exposure levels. We then monitor every 6 months using a handheld device. This also highlights which areas of the factory are loudest and where we needed to consider operational of equipment controls. Don't forget training the staff and health surveillance. Its an ongoing process.
Light - Depends on the facility and the operations being carried out. Don't know too much about lighting requirements personally.
Vibration - We haven't gone down the route of personal monitoring. rather a bunch of training, logging all the tools they use and the employees record their trigger times which I then convert using the HSE calculator into daily exposure. This info is then used during health surveillance.

Lots to think about, especially doing it all at the same time!

Good luck!

Glen
'Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough that they don't want to!' - Richard Branson
Safety Man

Post by Safety Man »

Thanks for the Info, much appreciated.

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy