Eye irritations (Lubricants)

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Lily

Eye irritations (Lubricants)

Post by Lily »

Hi all,
Wonder if some-one can help with a query I have on Lubricants,
Our site gets some machined parts from the supplier which have a final application of aerosol appplied WD-40 (for corrosion prevention), one of our production staff is getting moderate eye irritation (puffy eyes) every time these machined parts packages are opened/parts used etc.
I have discussed with supplier , who shall be moving over to a "slightly safer" altertaive lubricant, AT-90.

Just want to confirm myself that the AT-90 is in fact safer/causes less eye irritation.

On comparison of the SDS, I note that WD-40 in Section 8.1 states - WEL-TWA Hydrocarbons value 800 mg/m3, and for the AT-90 in Section 8.1 states Highly refined base oil , TWA 5mg/m3 and for STEL 10 mh/m3.

From this , can it be deduced that the AT-90 is in fact less of an irritant,

Great if some-one can help ?
Thanks, Lily
Rowebin
Student
Student

Re: Eye irritations (Lubricants)

Post by Rowebin »

Hi Lily,

What material are the parts being machined from and what is their final use? I may be able to suggest a different coating.

Is the production team member in question directly handling the goods, or just in the same room? What is their PPE requirements?

As for the WEL's, sorry I can't be of any assistance on those.

Row

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy