We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

I'm a link to HSfB's Facebook Group. Click me, go, go, go!

St Mary's Axe Bomb 27 years on!

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: Ex London Fire Brigade. Now 'retired' and providing bespoke fire safety solutions to a large worldwide portfolio of premises by an employer with long pockets and short arms!

St Mary's Axe Bomb 27 years on!

Post by Messy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:52 pm

I was reminded earlier that today is the 27th anniversary of the most expensive fatal incident I attended in 32 years in the fire service

On this day about 20:00hrs, 10th April 1992. The IRA left a truck bomb outside the Baltic Exchange in St Mary Axe in the city of London. The subsequent explosion caused an estimated £800 million worth of damage (the equivalent of £1,470 million today) which was £200 million more than the total damage caused by the 10,000 explosions that had occurred during the Troubles in Northern Ireland up to that point. (that is some statistic :shock: )

3 people died and 79 were injured. I spent about 10 hours on the scene, only interrupted when the IRA blew another building and flyover up in north London which sent some resources scurrying to Staples Corner Hendon. No injuries there thank God

The photos below simply do not show the enormity of the damage and the violence that was unleashed that night. Truly shocking - but how many people remember this bomb? The subsequent Bishopsgate and Canary Wharf bomb got much more coverage, but this job will stay with me to my grave

NB: The Gherkin Tower block was later built on the site where the bomb exploded
SMA1.jpeg
SMA2.jpeg

abarnett
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @adb82
Industry Sector: Warehousing

Re: St Mary's Axe Bomb 27 years on!

Post by abarnett » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:20 am

If you forgive the tower block on the right, your first image wouldn't look out of place alongside pictures of the blitz.
Must have been a horrific day...

Just have to hope that the whole Brexit carnage doesn't reopen this particularly nasty can of worms in Ireland again.... :(

Andy
Safety doesn't happen by accident

Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: St Mary's Axe Bomb 27 years on!

Post by Alexis » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 am

abarnett wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:20 am
If you forgive the tower block on the right, your first image wouldn't look out of place alongside pictures of the blitz.
Must have been a horrific day...

Just have to hope that the whole Brexit carnage doesn't reopen this particularly nasty can of worms in Ireland again.... :(

Andy
Couldn't agree more Andy. We mustn't let these days rear their ugly heads again. .pale
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Get Listed for Free on our New Business Directory

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy