We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

I'm a link to HSfB's Facebook Group. Click me, go, go, go!

NGC1 Exam

If you need help on any NEBOSH Certificate topic, just ask in here. There is no such thing as a stupid question in health and safety!

Moderator: Moderators

CAD
Student
Student

NGC1 Exam

Post by CAD » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi all,

I took the NGC1 exam yesterday. I felt it went better than I was expecting. I missed one question at the very begining as I had a complete mind blank, I moved on however by the time I had come to the answer in my own head I had run out of time. So I missed a few marks there. I managed to answer all the other questions however not sure if I covered enought in the outline questions as I am still struggling with the command words.

Could go either way but feel I could not have done any more (other than answer the missed question).

I don't think i've had such an intense week of learning before. Move onto week two on Monday with the second exam on Friday but most people agree that the second unit is the better of the two.

Did anyone take the exam yesterday and what did you make of it?

Thanks for your help and guidance. :)

Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas/Manufacturing/Engineering
Occupation: Health, Safety and Radiation Advisor for TechnipFMC & HSfB Web Site Owner

Re: NGC1 Exam

Post by Jack Kane » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Sounds like you feel positive about the first exam even though you could've found some more marks.

How did your second week and exam go?

Get Listed for Free on our Directory

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

CAD
Student
Student

Post by CAD » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 am

Thanks Jack.

I think I built up the first exam in my head so much that the pressure was lower for the second exam. I think everyone was more relaxed in the second week.

I felt I performed better in the second exam and was able to write in more detail, I also felt that I had a better grip on the NEBOSH command words in the second exam. This was probably down to the fact that we did a lot more practise papers and questions leading up to the second exam.

It's really hard to gauge where I will be. My heart says that I've done enough to get a pass mark, but my head seems to say opposite. If I haven't passed, I know it will be down to not fully understanding the command words as i'm not sure if I covered enough in the outline type questions, rather than not knowing the content.

I just wish I didn't have to wait until June to find out as i'd rather go again quickly if I haven't passed.

Still work to do though. Got my practical part to complete this week.

Overall, I think I am going to continue down the NCRQ route for the diploma as I feel I have more control over my study.

Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Oil and Gas/Manufacturing/Engineering
Occupation: Health, Safety and Radiation Advisor for TechnipFMC & HSfB Web Site Owner

Post by Jack Kane » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:52 pm

We see it more often than not on here where we tend to think we've done worse than we actually have during the exams. I'd guess you have done better than you think, especially if you have put the work in ;) .salut

All the best for your practical and thanks for sharing your reflection on your exams. Readers of the forums will take some comfort that others feel the same way.

Practical, then put it all behind you. Now't else you can do about it until the results come in.

Get Listed for Free on our Directory

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!

Safetysmurf
Industry Sector: Construction and Manufacturing

Post by Safetysmurf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Good afternoon,

People really do get het up about these Nebosh command words.
In a nutshell there are 4 types of command words.
If you answer the question that is asked (that is very key to getting points on board) and you include the key words that the examiner is looking for then you will get the marks.
Look at how many points each question is worth. If the question is 2 points then you won't need to write a full page for the 2 points. It would be covered in a paragraph.
8 points can be given for 8 single words on an answer if its an identify question! (try to always give more than just the 8 words as you could duplicate words or give the same answer twice and you'll only get the one mark and miss out on points)
Outline is slightly longer. (at least a sentence or two)
Describe would be more detailed than an outline........etc.
If you go off on a tangent and answer what you think is what the question is asking, then you will not get many marks.
My suggestion is read the question and set off with your answer and then read it again so far into the question to ensure that you don't get sidetracked.

Good luck..................SS

PaulDonaldson
Trainer of all, master of none
Trainer of all, master of none
Twitter: safety-heart

Post by PaulDonaldson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:52 pm

Action verbs is always a hot topic.
The only way to answer the question is to follow the guidance given by NEBOSH in the following document.
https://www.nebosh.org.uk/qualification ... #resources
It gives examples of the 5 action verbs and how to answer them.
Follow this you wont go far wrong
If you do what you always done, you will get what you always got.
http://www.safety-heart.co.uk Lets us put safety at the HEART of your business

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy