Purpose Built Flats Fire Alarm Systems

Discuss all things fire related.

Moderator: Moderators

Fred
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Purpose Built Flats Fire Alarm Systems

Post by Fred » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:32 am

Hi all. I am aware that the choice of fire alarm systems for any building is partly based on the risk assessment process, but I am intrigued as to why purpose built flats (common areas) do not have alarm systems. I have just moved into a block of flats (80's), roughly four flats to each floor, three storeys in height with one central escape route. There's no form of AOV, detection, sounders or extinguishers, nothing at all.
Having said that, is there really a requirement for one. I mean, why would a fire start in an area where there next to no ignition sources.

I only ask, as I've seen new builds of similar types, some have alarm systems, some others don't, albeit they appear the same. I am told this is because some block management companies will install everything in fear of prosecution if something occurred, whilst others go by the risk assessment process and the RRFO etc.

Love reading this forum!

Waterbaby
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Medical

Re: Purpose Built Flats Fire Alarm Systems

Post by Waterbaby » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 am

Bump ;)

WB
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change"
Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

witsd
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Purpose Built Flats Fire Alarm Systems

Post by witsd » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:44 pm

Okay, look at it this way. It's 2am, and you are in bed in your 12th floor flat.

The fire alarm in the common area goes off, again.

Last time it was some teenagers smoking in the lift lobby. Knowing this, do you:

a) Leap out of bed and evacuate the building.
b) Get out of bed, stay put, and wait for further instructions.
c) Pull the pillow over your head and go back to sleep.

If you are the landlord, what are you telling people to do in this situation? If you want them to stay put, how is an audible alarm helping them to do this?

Then there's the question of who will come out to reset the system, and who (ultimately) pays for them to do so?

IMO, the only advantages of an alarm system in a common space is when there are inner rooms (particularly in lofts) from which individuals need to evacuate, common rooms or concierge offices, and the very small positive that people may hesitate from entering the common space from outside if there is an alarm sounding.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy