Cutting fluids/coolants

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

toecutter
Student
Student

Cutting fluids/coolants

Post by toecutter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:10 am

Anyone know much about microbiological testing of metalworking fluids? Just moved over to HYSOL MB50, which apparently has bio-resistant properties, but I think it still needs testing with dipslides. Just trying to work out how often - the manufacturer's tech enquiry number's permanently busy and the MSDS doesn't cover it. Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

quality_somerset
Industry Sector: Heavy Engineering

Re: Cutting fluids/coolants

Post by quality_somerset » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:52 pm

Hi Toecutter

We test every week to make sure that our bacterial levels stay at a safe level. You can normally smell when it has gone off so it's really important that you test, check concentration levels and replace on a regular basis.

You can also buy a mechanical skimmer which will remove any solid particles and tramp oils, this is quite handy in removing a lot of the nutrients from the coolant.

Also make sure that when your CNC mill/lathe is not in use to run the coolant pump for a good 30mins each day, in my experience bacterial growth is more likely in machines that do not run each day.

A last line of defence will be to introduce an health surveillance programme which has a lung function test. I believe that Martin-Baker the ejection seat manufactures had quite a hefty fine for not doing this:

http://press.hse.gov.uk/2016/ejector-se ... rs-health/

Regards

QS

toecutter
Student
Student

Post by toecutter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks, weekly sounds good to me. We already do health surveillance for the machine shop guys, but I don't think lung function's included, as far as I know it's just skin. I'll definitely get HR to look into that.

Thanks again

toecutter
Student
Student

Post by toecutter » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Correction - yeah we give them lung function tests.

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy