We've rebooted our Facebook Group. If groups are your thing, join up and let's make it as amazing and friendly as our forums!

Click here for HSfB's Facebook Group Image

Changing Industries

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Safety Man

Changing Industries

Post by Safety Man » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:47 am

Hi All,

Just looking for peoples experiences/advice in regards to changing industries within HSE roles.

My current position may possibly become redundant in 2019, so trying to be prepared if it happens. I see several HSE positions advertised I just wanted to know peoples experiences in terms of how easy it is to change industries, is specific experience a big issue or are transferable skills recognised? (recruitment agencies tend to tell you what you want to hear I am finding).

I am diploma qualified, lead auditor and TapRooT Advanced Root Cause Analysis Team Leader Trained as well as 8+ years experience within several HSE positions.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Safety Man

WillPool
HSfB Moderator
HSfB Moderator
Industry Sector: Civils/Telecommunications

Re: Changing Industries

Post by WillPool » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:01 am

Morning

I would say a lot of skills are transferable however some industries want you to have the knowledge of what they do, particularly high risk industries.

You dont say what industry you come from.

I have worked mostly in telecomms and construction but would probably not put myself forward for an oil and gas refinery if you see what I mean??

I did have an interview for a role in a dairy and they commented on the change of background but because I had done research I could tell them what there most likely hazards and issues had been and I was offered a 2nd interview although I declined as another telecomms role became available.

Will .salut
It is better to be careful 100 times than to get killed once.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Post by AdamJ » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:02 am

I started out in H&S in engineering - a factory making turbochargers. Then I was H&S for a bakery. Then for a big poultry farming and hatching company. Then as a consultant for pretty much every type of industry except off-shore, construction and oil/gas as I either have no H&S expertise in them or don't want to be involved in them. The H&S side of it is the same, just how you implement it may change depending on the industry or individual business. As long as you are competent in the H&S issues in your prospective new industry, or capable of becoming so, then go for it. Changing industries can be a breath of fresh air and renew interest in the job.

ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:10 pm

You have good experience and qualifications - but try and stress your risk management skills and experience including PTW and control systems.

If you want to work in Oil and Gas or offshore - do not put yourself through any courses - employing companies will pay for the courses they think you require for the role.

Dave
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy