Moderator: Moderators

whaleatron
Student
Student
Industry Sector: theatre + entertainment

Office Furniture Suppliers

Post by whaleatron » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi All :wave:

I wondered if anyone has come across a similar situation as the one I have found myself in?

Our Facilities Team are purchasing some new office equipment, including chairs, and had got a couple of samples in for staff to try. I discovered that one of these samples is not compliant with DSE Regulations as it does not have a backrest with adjustable height. I am a little stunned to think that there are office chair designers and suppliers out there who are providing equipment that isn't compliant with H&S regs. In this particular instance, the brochure also describes the chair as brilliant in terms of ergonomics.

Gah! :shock:

I have advised our Facilities team to not purchase it but I also feel obliged to contact the suppliers and give them some feedback.
Is this quite a normal situation?

Your thoughts are welcome!

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Re: Office Furniture Suppliers

Post by bernicarey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:02 pm

I think the Regulations require a little bit of interpretation in some regards.

It's all very well for Schedule 1 to say "The seat back shall be adjustable in both height and tilt ", but what if it's an 'Executive Chair' that has a full height back, possibly with lumbar support?
That's a whole different scenario to the regular 'office chair' with a tiny little back rest.

These are 26 year old regulations that haven't been updated with modern chair designs.

Imagine comparing the comfort and ergonomics of a 1990 car seat to one in a new 2018 model.
http://www.belvoirsafety.co.uk Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

AdamJ
Snr Member
Snr Member
Twitter: @thenoisechap

Re: Office Furniture Suppliers

Post by AdamJ » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Bear in mind the DSE Regs don’t mandate the back to adjust independently of the seat itself. If it goes up and down with the seat this can be compliant (page 41, para 23). I would bet the chairs looked at meet that as I’ve rarely seen one that didn’t have a back that went up and down with the seat, so would be compliant.

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy