Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

Anders501
Student
Student

Employment Advice

Post by Anders501 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi All,

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I decided here may be a good fit.

This is a post requesting some HR / Employment issue advice if anyone can help?

It seems I'm to become the victim of the old, "we're looking to make some cuts" scenario! I currently work on a 3/3 rotation, no back to back cover just me. Been here 3 years and have led us from a blank canvass to achieving 18001 / 9001 and recently 14001 so it is a little personal for me, although I do know how business works.

I got a phone call the day before I was due to return telling me the company can no longer sustain a full time QHSE post, and we're looking to make it part time, (I already only work 6 months of the year, how part time can it be!) He even said you don't need to travel up if you don't want to! I told them I would be coming to work as normal as I have things to do (wanted to make sure they pay me really).

I told them I'm not willing to discuss such issues over the phone and to communicate via letter or email only. I have a meeting on Wednesday where no doubt I'll be told they can't afford to keep me. I don't know whether they'll offer me a part time role, terminate me or offer redundancy?

I cant afford to go part time, so that'll be a no from me
If they terminate me, can I claim unfair dismissal, even if they've offered a part time role?
If they make me redundant is there any appeal or again a claim of unfair dismissal?

If you've taken the time to read through this, I thank you. if you are able to offer any advice it is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Anders
Last edited by bernicarey on Sat May 12, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from the dailiy Good Morning/Evening Forum to General Discussion.

stephen1974

Re: Employment Advice

Post by stephen1974 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:47 pm

Your best bet is to give ACAS a call.

The very basics are:
Unless it says otherwise in your contract they cannot cut your hours or your rate of pay without your consent. If they do so then they are both in breach of contract and of making unlawful deduction of wages. Also, if they go ahead and do this and you decide to leave the company as a result, you can also claim constructive dismissal.

Unfortunately, big business coerced the government in to making claims lengthy and costly in order to discourage workers from challenging their employers, so it won't help in the short term.

Their alternative then is redundancy, but they would have to go through, and show you, a fair process to do this, otherwise they leave themselves open to an unfair dismissal claim, but again, lengthy and costly for you and not a short term answer.

Here is some more information http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/em ... _work.html

But again, I would call ACAS and they can give you a lot more options.

Anders501
Student
Student

Post by Anders501 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks Stephen,

I've a call scheduled tomorrow with ACAS.

Many Thanks

Anders

ddlh
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by ddlh » Sun May 13, 2018 7:10 pm

I fully support Stevens advice - but would go further.

Ensure you always attend the office as you would normally do as they could claim your failure to attend is not correct.
Please ensure you have somebody you trust with you at meetings with HR - These are normally well stage managed and and a stranger in the mix will ensure that they have everything spot on as required by law (I have seen people lose their jobs for next to no reason and unable to support their argument due to lack of support)

Good luck and let us know how it goes
If you think safety is a pain, try a leg fracture.

Anders501
Student
Student

Post by Anders501 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for the advice.
Much appreciated.
Final meeting tomorrow

Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy