Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

markholly
Student
Student

DRUG USE IN TOILETS

Post by markholly »

Hello,

I have been asked to look into preventing drug use in toilets in various venues which we have around the UK. There has been cases where discarded needles have been found on the floor.

Since discovering this we have started to lock the toilets while not in use and you have to seek a member of staff to unlock these. I was wondering if there is anything else out there which can be recommended?

I was thinking of suggesting blue lights be fitted but when researching this it seems that it does not solve the issue completely as it is more the location to shoot up and not the lighting. Also it came to my mind about adding a sharps box in the toilets for discarded needles but fear that it will encourage the venue as a place to go and shoot up.

Has anyone came across this before and have any suggestions I would appreciate help here.

Thanks

Mark
quality_somerset
Industry Sector: Precision Engineering

Re: DRUG USE IN TOILETS

Post by quality_somerset »

My local magistrate court has a blue florescent light in their toilets. The rational when asked is that the blue colour is the same colour as veins and this makes locating a vein harder. Not sure whether it works but that is what i was told.

WD40, when applied to toilet seats and the top of cisterns, stops cocaine use as it dissolves the cocaine into a sticky mess before they can snort it up there nose.

Regards
QS
markholly
Student
Student

Post by markholly »

Thanks QS,

I have just read that the users mark a vein before going in so it bypasses the blue light. It would work for a 'chancer' who quickly pops in for a quick fix so dependant on the cost it maybe worth looking into.

Thanks for your reply

Mark
benstacey

Post by benstacey »

Hmm, this is a tough one, while it will be hard to completely eradicate drugs from a venue there are a couple of things you could do to reduce the appeal.

I imagine you have security on the door as you're a venue, see about getting one with a Dog for a couple of week, they don't even need to get them out the van, just park it outside your venue people will assume you're going to bring a sniffer dog inside even if you don't and word spreads quickly that you have a dog on the door.

Put up signs that say these toilets are monitored on a regular basis by security staff and that drug detection methods are installed in these toilets even if there isn't.

WD-40 is a good idea for drugs that go up the nose, I've also seen a lot of places covering areas that may be used for racking up snorting drugs with carpet or they cut out a bit from a shower mat and glue it on there.

Drugs and Paranoia go hand in hand, make they think they're going to get caught and the most likely wont do it.
kenney76
Student
Student

Post by kenney76 »

Some great advice on here in terms of prevention, how about some poster/leaflets on education? or how to get help? even if it helps that one person then its well worth going the extra mile.

Just my opinion.

Kind regards

K
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Obvious one, but regular checks of the toilets and BBFS training for the people doing the checks.

Other than that... really powerful air-conditioning? :)
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
LittleNell83
Student
Student

Post by LittleNell83 »

Sorry, probably a silly question but out of curiosity what does nearly BBFS mean?
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

LittleNell83 wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:57 pmSorry, probably a silly question but out of curiosity what does nearly BBFS mean?
Sorry, excessive use of acronyms is a bad habit, and I get annoyed when other people do it!

Blood, body fluids and sharps.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
LittleNell83
Student
Student

Post by LittleNell83 »

Thank you. Makes sense when you say it.

Nell :)

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy