Child safeguarding

Discuss all things health and safety.

Moderator: Moderators

stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Re: Child safeguarding

Post by stephen1974 »

OK, so you know these people already, do you think they are closet ¦offensive and insensitive phrase removed by Jack Kane¦ and need checking?

I wouldnt have any real concerns over child safety in terms of sexual abuse in this situation. I would be looking more at their safety in not getting injured or not running out the door and going missing, a DBS doesnt help with that. but, at the end of the day, a basic check is cheap and its a butt covering excersise.
Last edited by Jack Kane on Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Jack Kane - removing offensive and insensitive phrase as per our Board Rules item 4 Child Safety.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

stephen1974 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:13 pmOK, so you know these people already, do you think they are closet someone who is sexually interested in children and need checking?
While I agree entirely, children say weird stuff sometimes. What do you do if you don't have anything in place and little Timmy says something about Derek the accounts manager because Derek has a big beard that scared Timmy?

I visit vulnerable people all the time. Some have dementia, some are child-like and some are genuinely vindictive people. You can be damn sure I always have a second person with me - not (mostly) for my safety, and not for theirs, but as a witness to say that I have conducted myself professionally in case something goes missing or a fictitious story arises.

It's a shame, but you absolutely have to cover yourselves.
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

So Timmy got scared of a beard - how would a DBS check help anything? I dont disagree with butt covering though adn as I said, basic checks are cheap(ish).

The government has guidance documents regarding what level of checks you can do. I forgot about standard checks.
So you have basic checks, which you can do on anyone, but standard and enhanced checks can only be carried out on those doing certain work.
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... y-guidance

You can also look at this guidance to see if what you want to do falls under a regulated activity. I suspect it doesnt.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ngland.pdf
safetygal
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: @safety_gal

Post by safetygal »

witsd wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:08 pm
stephen1974 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:13 pmOK, so you know these people already, do you think they are closet someone who is sexually interested in children and need checking?
While I agree entirely, children say weird stuff sometimes. What do you do if you don't have anything in place and little Timmy says something about Derek the accounts manager because Derek has a big beard that scared Timmy?

I visit vulnerable people all the time. Some have dementia, some are child-like and some are genuinely vindictive people. You can be damn sure I always have a second person with me - not (mostly) for my safety, and not for theirs, but as a witness to say that I have conducted myself professionally in case something goes missing or a fictitious story arises.

It's a shame, but you absolutely have to cover yourselves.
I used to be a cub scout leader, i absolutely understand the importance of having a second person around you at all times. You tell a child not to do something that they want to do (because of safety reasons) and they get cross or embarrassed and then later, tell mum that you hit/smacked them and nothing of the sort happened. We went with DBS on the safe side and Risk assessment of course!
stephen1974
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire

Post by stephen1974 »

Im out folks, I cant stand snowflakes who get oeffended by hurty words.
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

That seems like bit of a non-sequitur... Which snowflakes? What 'hurty' words?

Has the heat got to you?
We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one.' We forget that we still have to make a study of 'and.'
Messy
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi
Occupation: 46 years experience with a metropolitan Fire Brigade and then Fire Safety Manager for a global brand.

Now sort of retired from the fire safety game, but doing the odd job here and there to keep my grey matter working and as I hate sudoku and havent got the back for an allotment
Location: Sunny London where the streets are paved with gold ;)

Post by Messy »

I would welcome a few snowflakes at the moment, although in this heat it would be hard work clearing the path

Stephen - if you are still around (I hope so), if you are referring to the removal of a word by Jack on June 14th, do you honestly think that can be described as snowflake incident? Really?

The point of your message still got through loud and clear. I understand your annoyance but I have been on Internet forums that are not 'policed' and they turn into an unprofessional slanging match.

If 'snowflake' and 'woke' describes those who wish to uphold standards, sign me up
witsd
Grand Shidoshi
Grand Shidoshi

Post by witsd »

Ah, I didn't see that, that makes more sense.

Yeah, this place is far more heavily policed than most internet forums, but that's how it is. I had my run-in a long while back with a certain German forklift operator video. Just gotta shrug and accept that it's their site, and it's up to them what they allow.
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Post by Alexis »

Thank you Messy and witsd for your responses. .salut .salut

We, Our Moderator Team, Myself and Jack have taken pride in our site over the past 18 years and indeed, very early on, we were awarded ICRA status https://itp.cdn.icann.org/en/files/regi ... n07-en.pdf due to Jack's passion then and now to ensure his site would be worthy of Children's digital content safety. This site ethos our Jack and our Team have diligently upheld!

The wording Jack edited is classed as being detrimental to Children and just for information, also a phrase which has been removed from the Urban Dictionary, so like any other wording over the years which is in breach of our own site Rules, item 4 https://www.healthandsafetytips.co.uk/f ... .php/rules the wording was edited and as always, a PM was sent to Stephen.

We do not wish to lose any of our members, long-term or new and in due course, perhaps Stephen will return to help others as he has done in the past.

AND.....just for clarification.......Jack is neither a snowflake nor anything other than a highly Professional Health, Safety and Radiation Officer within a highly prestigious organisation who holds down a full time position and spends hours of his own time in the background of this site to ensure it is as safe as can be for all our members and viewers.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy