RMS PUBLICATION

Discuss all things fire related and emergencies of all kinds.

Moderator: Moderators

Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

RMS PUBLICATION

Post by Lex1212189 »

Hi

I have recently passed Nat Cert with a creeit and now I am looking at completing the fire equivalent.

My course provider is quoting around £400 to get e learning access which I havent got available right now with going on holiday in few months

I have purchased the rms fire publication and to be fair it seens very detailed. What I am wandering is......is it possible to pass the course just off the back of this book? Also can course providers let you book on an exam with them without purchasing the course itself?

Regards
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: RMS PUBLICATION

Post by Alexis »

Lex1212189 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:09 pm Hi

I have recently passed Nat Cert with a creeit and now I am looking at completing the fire equivalent.

My course provider is quoting around £400 to get e learning access which I havent got available right now with going on holiday in few months

I have purchased the rms fire publication and to be fair it seens very detailed. What I am wandering is......is it possible to pass the course just off the back of this book? Also can course providers let you book on an exam with them without purchasing the course itself?

Regards
Hi Lex, many Providers let Students pay in a few smaller amounts if that's any help to you. Failing that, anything is possible. Hopefully some of our members who have successfully gone down this route will come in with their opinions on going it alone.

Yes, there are Providers who would let you book an exam only. Ring around and see who offers what.
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

In your honest opinion alexis.....is it possible? To study via a text book only and still pass eothout purchasing the entire online multimedia?

With the help of this forum, my scribd subscription (lots of usefull stuff there) aswell as the download section here, I honestly feel i have a chance :)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Lex1212189 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm In your honest opinion alexis.....is it possible? To study via a text book only and still pass eothout purchasing the entire online multimedia?

With the help of this forum, my scribd subscription (lots of usefull stuff there) aswell as the download section here, I honestly feel i have a chance :)
It depends upon the individual of course, but if you set your mind to it, then why not go for it! ./thumbsup..

Why not try some of the RMS Book for a couple of weeks before you commit to an exam date and see what you think yourself? Nothing lost having a trial and you know our Fire people are quite amazing at offering their experience and knowledge.

Go for a wee trial Lex! :)

Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Thanks for your excellent advice as always Alexis :)
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend

Post by Alexis »

Good luck Lex. Let me know how you get on. ;)

bernicarey
Anorak Extraordinaire
Anorak Extraordinaire
Twitter: @bernicarey
Industry Sector: Consultancy/Training

Post by bernicarey »

Lex
Ultimately, it's down to the individual.
I did all my study by Distance Learning, some courses were online, others hardcopy notes.

My Diploma Tutor/Provider was am much good as a Chocolate Fireguard and I had to double check everything that was in the notes as there were so many mistakes and omissions.
I know that another member of the Forum at the time was with the same provider, sitting the same exams. She chose to ditch the providers materials entirely and simply used them as an Exam facilitator. She brought some books and taught herself. We both graduated at the same time in 2011.

So it can be done, whether it's for you is entirely another question which only you can answer. .salut
www.belvoirsafety.co.uk

Tomorrow - your reward for being safe today...

Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Thanks bernicarey. Advice noted.

I have the rms publication so going to give it a trial and error over the next few weeks and see how I get on
rocketman
Student
Student

Post by rocketman »

Hi Lex

It just so happens that my employer is putting me through the fire certificate next as this is the main area I work in atm.

I have been working in fire safety for just 6 months. A lot of what I have learned has been through books, the one I have currently to hand is 'Introduction to fire safety management' but the main publication I use is Approved Document B (free to download) and BS 9999. Approved Document B, if you don't know, is basically the building regulations when it comes to fire safety in buildings.

Obviously, I also have my peers to help me when I am stuck, which is a real help.
At the beginning of working in fire safety I got set a lot of questions that I had to research and answer, this proved very helpful and I documented the answers, printed them out and I have them in a folder which I refer to from time to time. If you like I could send you these questions for you to research yourself, it may prove a very helpful exercise rather than just reading a book cover to cover. DM me and I'll send you them.

If I can help you with any fire safety queries, please let me know. I'm no expert but I kind of know where to find the answers for things fire safety related.

All the best
rocketman
Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Rocketman

That would be absolutley superb if you woukd take the time to do that. Highly appreciated.

Will also take a look at the recommended document

Lex
rocketman
Student
Student

Post by rocketman »

Sent them you in a private message :)
Lex1212189
Jnr Member
Jnr Member

Post by Lex1212189 »

Top man

Checking now

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy