Three score and Five?

Have some quality recovery time from health & safety and chit chat in here about anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

Moderator: Moderators

crossley

Three score and Five?

Post by crossley »

Got to admit this does not have the the same ring to it as three score and ten but cant wait another 5 yrs to post.
After working for 50 yrs I have just retired. Have work induced hearing loss, tinnitus and arthritic knee joints. health and safety was never even on the horizon when I started as an apprentice 50 yrs ago. The last few yrs I have been tying to convince young workers to care for themselves and others in my capacity as an instructor.
Now the real point of my post, after a visit to my GP and a rather embarrassing examination am told I may have prostate cancer. If you are over 50 and have to get up to go to the bathroom during the night, find it difficult to start or stop or have any discomfort when having a whiz please go and see your GP. Very often these can be symptoms of benign and treatable illness. Or it may be cancer, if found early the clear up rate is very good.
Dont do as I did and try herbal meds from that high street chain or simply stop drinking after 8pm, if you have a problem get checked out sooner than later.
Yes the exam may be embarrassing but the sooner the better. Sorry to be a bit down on this but feel that many of us put up with thing and could leave it a bit late.
Stay well all of you. .colours
Alexis
Official HSfB Legend
Official HSfB Legend
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlexisHSfB

Re: Three score and Five?

Post by Alexis »

Hi crossley. So sorry to hear your news. Thank you for taking the time to post this for others to see and take note of. .salut

As you so rightly point out, many of us take too long to have things checked out. The earlier the better.

I do know your illness has a good recovery rate and am certainly sending sincere good wishes for a speedy and full recovery. bighug

Please keep us informed if possible crossley. bighug
"A candle loses none of its light by lighting another candle."

Hundreds of FREE Health & Safety Downloads Here
Jack Kane
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
HSfB Site Grand Shidoshi
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsfb
Industry Sector: Manufacturing Subsea XTs

Post by Jack Kane »

Really sorry to hear that Crossley :(

A great bit of advice though. I know of two people being prompted by comments like yours to go and get checked out, both survived because they caught it early enough.

Take care of yourself Crossley.

RoSPA Awards Ambassador and Mentor #RoSPAAwards #HSfB #Proud

There is no such thing as a "stupid" or "daft" health and safety question!
Keith1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Suitable and Sufficient since 1983
Industry Sector: Engineering/Manufacturing/ Construction

Post by Keith1983 »

My grandad lived with prostate cancer for 20 years. It is as you say very treatable. Keep your chin up and well done to you for taking the stand of making other people aware that a slightly uncomfortable examination could make all the difference.
So when the whole world is safe..............what are we going to do then?

Access Croner-i Navigate Safety-Lite here for free

HSfB Facebook Group Follow us on Twitter Find us on Facebook Find us on on LinkedIn

Terms of Use Privacy Policy